BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Eldridge family come from? What is the English Eldridge family crest and coat of arms? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Eldridge family history?The rich and ancient history of the Eldridge family name dates back to the time of the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. It comes from the Old English name Aelfric, which dates back to the time of the Norman Conquest of 1066.
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Eldridge have been found, including Elrich, Elritch, Eldrich, Eldrick, Eldred, Eldrid, Eldridg, Eldredge, Eldridge and many more.
First found in Norfolk where they held a family seat from ancient times some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Eldridge research. Another 311 words(22 lines of text) covering the years 1500 and 1560 are included under the topic Early Eldridge History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Eldridge Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Among the first immigrants of the name Eldridge, or a variant listed above to cross the Atlantic and come to North America were :
Eldridge Settlers in the 17th Century
- Jonathon Eldridge settled in New Jersey in 1678
Eldridge Settlers in the 18th Century
- James Eldridge settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1766
- Thomas Eldridge settled in Baltimore Maryland in 1775
Eldridge Settlers in the 19th Century
- William Eldridge settled in Joe Batts Arm, Newfoundland in 1817
- Eliza Eldridge arrived in Adelaide aboard the ship "Henry Porcher" in 1838
- John Eldridge arrived in Adelaide aboard the ship "Henry Porcher" in 1838
- Daniel Eldridge arrived in Adelaide aboard the ship "Henry Porcher" in 1838
- David Eldridge arrived in Adelaide aboard the ship "Henry Porcher" in 1838
- David Eldridge (b. 1973), English dramatist
- Lieutenant Commander John Eldridge Jr. (1903-1942), American Navy officer who received the Navy Cross posthumously, eponym of the USS Eldridge (DE-173)
- Eric William Eldridge CB, OBE,, Consultant with Lee and Pemberton, solicitors
- Charles W. Eldridge (1877-1922), American Mayor of Somerville, Massachusetts
- Clarence Eldridge (1888-1981), American Major League Baseball umpire
- Ernest Arthur Douglas Eldridge (1897-1937), British racing car driver, world land speed record holder in 1924
- George H. Eldridge (1844-1918), American soldier, recipient of the Medal of Honor
- James B. "Jamie" Eldridge (b. 1973), American politician, Massachusetts state senator
- Roy David "Little Jazz" Eldridge (1911-1989), American jazz trumpet player
- David Roy Eldridge (1911-1989), nicknamed "Little Jazz", an American jazz trumpet player
- The Ancestry of Marlen Eldredge (also Eldridge) by Mark Eldredge.
- The Family of Clyde Mulford Eldridge and Other Descendants of William Eldred of Yarmouth by Luella Eldridge.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
The Eldridge Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Eldridge Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 September 2014 at 09:08.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is