100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the English Eldridge family come from? What is the English Eldridge family crest and coat of arms? When did the Eldridge family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Eldridge family history?The rich and ancient history of the Eldridge family name dates back to the time of the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. It comes from the Old English name Aelfric, which dates back to the time of the Norman Conquest of 1066.
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Eldridge have been found, including Elrich, Elritch, Eldrich, Eldrick, Eldred, Eldrid, Eldridg, Eldredge, Eldridge and many more.
First found in Norfolk where they held a family seat from ancient times some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Eldridge research. Another 311 words(22 lines of text) covering the years 1500 and 1560 are included under the topic Early Eldridge History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Eldridge Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Among the first immigrants of the name Eldridge, or a variant listed above to cross the Atlantic and come to North America were :
Eldridge Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Jonathon Eldridge settled in New Jersey in 1678
Eldridge Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- James Eldridge settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1766
- Thomas Eldridge settled in Baltimore Maryland in 1775
Eldridge Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Captain Eldridge settled in San Francisco, California in 1850
- John Eldridge Jr. (1903-1942), American Navy officer who received the Navy Cross posthumously, eponym of the USS Eldridge (DE-173)
- Charles W. Eldridge (1877-1922), American Mayor of Somerville, Massachusetts
- Clarence Eldridge (1888-1981), American Major League Baseball umpire
- George H. Eldridge (1844-1918), American soldier, recipient of the Medal of Honor
- James B. "Jamie" Eldridge (b. 1973), American politican, Massachusetts state senator
- Roy David "Little Jazz" Eldridge (1911-1989), American jazz trumpet player
- Eric William Eldridge CB, OBE,, Consultant with Lee and Pemberton, solicitors
- Ernest Arthur Douglas Eldridge (1897-1937), British racing car driver, world land speed record holder in 1924
- The Ancestry of Marlen Eldredge (also Eldridge) by Mark Eldredge.
- The Family of Clyde Mulford Eldridge and Other Descendants of William Eldred of Yarmouth by Luella Eldridge.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
The Eldridge Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Eldridge Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 20 December 2012 at 13:33.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!