BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the German Eggers family come from? What is the German Eggers family crest and coat of arms? When did the Eggers family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Eggers family history?German patronymic such as Eggers names emerged as early as the mid-9th century. These surnames were derived from the given name of the father of the first bearer of the name; Eggers means "son of Eggert."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Eggers, Egers, Egge, Eggens, Egges, Ecgers, Eggs, Egs, Eggerts, Egging, Eggerding and many more.
First found in Schleswig-Holstein, where the family became noted for its many branches within the region, many houses acquiring a status and influence which rivaled that of the landed aristocracy. This name was quite common in the city of Hamburg.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Eggers research. Another 457 words(33 lines of text) covering the years 1790, 1751, 1798, 1806 and 1856 are included under the topic Early Eggers History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 29 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Eggers Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Eggers Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Julius Eggers, age 39, who arrived in Albany, NY in 1776
- Johann Eggers, who landed in America in 1778
- Julius Eggers, who arrived in America in 1780
- Georg Eggers, who landed in Long Island in 1781
- Heinrich Eggers, who arrived in Long Island in 1781
Eggers Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Charlotte Eggers settled with her 4 children in Baltimore, Maryland in 1823
- J. C. Eggers, age 37, settled in Baltimore, Maryland in 1823
- Bernh Eggers, who arrived in North America in 1832-1849
- G A Eggers, who arrived in North America in 1832-1849
- Henry Eggers, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1839
- Alfred John Eggers Jr. (b. 1922), founder of the American Institute for Aerospace and Astronautics
- Paul Walter Eggers (b. 1919), prominent Texas lawyer and politician
- Melvin Arnold Eggers (1916-1994), Chancellor of the University of Syracuse from 1971 to 1991
- Sergeant Alan Louis Eggers (1895-1968), United States Army soldier awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroic actions
- Per Eggers (b. 1951), Swedish actor
- Westward J-J by Mildred Shirley.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
The Eggers Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Eggers Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 August 2013 at 13:12.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is