100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Eberly family come from? What is the English Eberly family crest and coat of arms? When did the Eberly family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Eberly family history?Eberly is a name of ancient Anglo-Saxon origin and comes from a family once having lived in either of the settlements called Everley in Wiltshire or the West Riding of Yorkshire. The surname Eberly belongs to the large category of Anglo-Saxon habitation names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Eberly has been recorded under many different variations, including Everley, Eveleigh, Eveley, Evelley, Everlie and others.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Eberly research. Another 173 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 126 and 1268 are included under the topic Early Eberly History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Eberly Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Eberly or a variant listed above:
Eberly Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Barbara Eberly, aged 12, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732
- Henrick Eberly, aged 11, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732
- George Christopher Eberly, aged 24, landed in Pennsylvania in 1753
- Joh Jacob Eberly, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1772
Eberly Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Eberly, who landed in Ohio in 1850
- James Eberly, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1858
- Joseph H. Eberly (b. 1935), Andrew Carnegie Professor of Physics and Professor of Optics at the University of Rochester, recipient of the Charles Hard Townes Award
- Robert Edward Eberly (1918-2004), American Chairman of the Board of Eberly Natural Gas Company, eponym of Eberly Hall, University of Pittsburgh, co-eponym of the Hobby-Eberly Telescope
- Bob Eberly (1916-1981), born Robert Eberle, American big band vocalist, best known for his work with Jimmy Dorsey
- Angelina Belle Peyton Eberly (1798-1860), American innkeeper and a hero of Austin, Texas in the Texas Archive War; she fired a six-pound cannon into the General Land Office Building arousing the townsfolk of the ensuing secret removal of the archives of the Republic
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The Eberly Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Eberly Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 November 2013 at 08:10.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!