BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Dye family come from? What is the English Dye family crest and coat of arms? When did the Dye family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Dye family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dye, Tie, Dy, Dei and others.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1301 when Walter Dye held estates near Wakefield.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dye research. Another 263 words(19 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1455, and 1487 are included under the topic Early Dye History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Dye Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dye Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Henry Dye, aged 20, landed in Barbados in 1635
- Robt Dye, who arrived in Virginia in 1637
- Robert Dye, who arrived in Virginia in 1650
- John Dye, who arrived in Virginia in 1655
- Martin Dye, who landed in Maryland in 1667
Dye Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Henry Dye who settled in Maryland in 1729
Dye Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- William Dye, who landed in New York in 1844
- C J Dye, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- D Clarkson Dye, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Bennett Dye who arrived in Indiana in 1852
- Frederick Dye who arrived in Michigan in 1890
- Eva Emery Dye (1855-1947), American writer, historian, and prominent member of the Women's Suffrage movement
- Marvin Rood Dye (1895-1997), American lawyer and politician
- Howard Spencer Dye (b. 1920), American economist and educator
- Dale Adam Dye (b. 1944), American actor, presenter, businessman, and retired U.S. Marine Captain
- Kenneth M. Dye (b. 1936), Auditor-General of Canada from 1981-1991
- Douglas W. Dye (1921-2005), New Zealand microbiologist
- A Partial History of Certain Mastin-Rathbun-Dye Families by Victor E. Mastin.
- The K.A.R.D. Files-Dye Data by John and Judy Dye.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
The Dye Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dye Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 July 2014 at 10:20.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is