BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the French Dumas family come from? What is the French Dumas family crest and coat of arms? When did the Dumas family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Dumas family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dumas, Dumais, Dumay, Dumat, Le Dumas, Dumets and others.
First found in Languedoc where this distinguished family held a family seat in the seigneurie of Le Mas in the arrondissement of d'Auriol where they were located several centuries before their official registry in 1487.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dumas research. Another 265 words(19 lines of text) covering the years 1753, 1794, 1753, 1837, 1800, 1884, 1802, 1870, 1824, 1895, 1789 and 1706 are included under the topic Early Dumas History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Dumas Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dumas Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Jerome Dumas, who landed in Jamestown, Va in 1700
- Antoine Dumas, aged 15, landed in Cuba in 1785
Dumas Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Raimundo Dumas, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1816
- W H Dumas, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- J Dumas, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1856
- Pablo Dumas, aged 21, arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1858
- Brigadier-General Walter Alexander Dumas (1893-1952), American Director of Plans & Operations 10th Army (1943-1945)
- Georges Dumas (1866-1946), French psychologist
- Jean Baptiste André Dumas (1800-1884), French organic chemist
- Major-General Paul-Henri Dumas (1894-1964), French Commanding Officer French Occupation Troops in Vorarlberg (1945-1946)
- Alexandre Dumas (1802-1870), best known as the author of The Three Musketeers
- Marlene Dumas (b. 1953), South African born artist and painter awarded the 2011 Rolf Schock Prize in Visual Arts
- Notes On the Dumas Families of Union Parish, Louisiana by John H. Wilson, Carine Dumas Nolan, and Lorena Craighead Dumas.
- Pierre Dumas: His Life and His Descendants 1756-1986 by Hallie Arden DeMass Sweeting.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Doyle, William. The Oxford History of the French Revolution. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0192852213).
- D'Hozier Charles. Armorial Général de France. Paris: Dillon, 1875. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- De Ville, Winston. Gulf Coast Colonials, A Compendium of French Families in Early Eighteenth Century Louisiana. Baltimore, MD: Clearfield, 1999. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- de la Porte, A. Tresor Heraldique. Paris: F. Casterman, 1864. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
The Dumas Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dumas Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 September 2013 at 18:41.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is