100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the English Downing family come from? What is the English Downing family crest and coat of arms? When did the Downing family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Downing family history?The ancestors of the name Downing date back to the days of the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from their residence in Downing, Oxfordshire.
Downing has been spelled many different ways, including Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Downing, Doning, Douning, Duning and others.
First found in Oxfordshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Downing research. Another 295 words(21 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1400, 1672, 1623, 1684, 1st , 1656, 1711, 1685 and 1749 are included under the topic Early Downing History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 99 words(7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Downing Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Downing family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Downings to arrive on North American shores:
Downing Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Francis Downing, who came to Virginia in 1624
- James Downing and Emanuel Downing who both settled in Salem in 1630
- Emanuel Downing, who landed in Salem, Massachusetts in 1638
- George Downing, who arrived in New England in 1642
- Wm Downing, who arrived in Virginia in 1647
Downing Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Eliza Downing, who arrived in Virginia in 1703
- Anthony Downing, who arrived in Virginia in 1703
- Jone Downing, who landed in Virginia in 1705
- Geo Downing, who landed in Virginia in 1714
- Elizabeth, Downing Jr., who arrived in Virginia in 1717
Downing Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Elizabeth Downing, who landed in New York in 1844
- W B Downing, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- W R Downing, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- E W Downing, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- J Downing, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Andrew Jackson Downing (1815-1852), American landscape designer, horticulturalist, and writer
- Alphonso Erwin "Al" Downing (b. 1941), American former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Brian Jay Downing (b. 1950), American former Major League Baseball player
- Wilfred "Will" Downing (b. 1963), American singer-songwriter and producer
- Burton Downing (1885-1929), American two time gold, three time sliver and one time bronze Olympic medalist for cycling at the 1904 Summer Games
- Russell Downing (b. 1978), English cycling road-racer, the British national road race champion in 2005
- Stewart Downing (b. 1984), English footballer
- Kenneth "K. K." Downing Jr. (b. 1951), English Grammy Award winning guitarist, songwriter, founding member of the band Judas Priest
- Keith Gordon Downing (b. 1965), English former footballer
- Paul Michael Downing (b. 1991), English footballer
- The Downings of Europe and America, 1273-1973 by Anna May Cochrane Gregath.
- Thaddeus K. Smith and Bertah Heyne: Their Ancestors and Descendants, Including the Families of Bard, Downing, and Veach by Margaret E. Herrick.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
The Downing Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Downing Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 April 2014 at 10:13.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!