100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Dowell family come from? What is the Scottish Dowell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Dowell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Dowell family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Doull, Doul, Dowill, Dowl, Dowell, Duill, Doule and many more.
First found in Inverness, where they held a family seat in this wild and romantic highland territory. Their territories were first located in Badenoch and they became associated as a sept of Donald Clan. Allegiances were important in this terrain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dowell research. Another 220 words(16 lines of text) covering the year 1606 is included under the topic Early Dowell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Dowell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dowell Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Wm Dowell, who landed in Virginia in 1714
- John Dowell, who arrived in North Carolina in 1753
- William Dowell, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1787
Dowell Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Samuel Dowell, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1812
- Alexander Dowell, who landed in New York, NY in 1815
- R Dowell, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Richard Dowell, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1872
- Cassius Clay Dowell (1864-1940), American Republican Representative from Iowa
- Jacob Dowell (b. 1985), American NHL professional ice hockey center
- Joe Dowell (b. 1940), American pop singer, best known for his rendition of "Wooden Heart"
- Horace Kirby "Saxie" Dowell (1904-1974), American jazz and pop music bandleader
- Alastair McQueen Dowell (1920-2010), Scottish cricketer
- Leonard Dowell (b. 1902), Scottish professional association football player
- George Dare Dowell (1831-1910), English soldier, who received the Victoria Cross for heroic deeds in 1855
- Sir Anthony James Dowell CBE (b. 1943), English ballet dancer and Artistic Director of Britain's Royal Ballet from 1986 to 2001
- Admiral Sir William Montagu Dowell GCB (1825-1912), Royal Navy officer, Commander-in- chief, Plymouth
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Browne, James. The History of Scotland it's Highlands, Regiments and Clans 8 Volumes. Edinburgh: Francis A Niccolls & Co, 1909. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
The Dowell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dowell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 December 2013 at 18:45.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!