100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Dowell family come from? What is the Scottish Dowell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Dowell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Dowell family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Doull, Doul, Dowill, Dowl, Dowell, Duill, Doule and many more.
First found in Inverness, where they held a family seat in this wild and romantic highland territory. Their territories were first located in Badenoch and they became associated as a sept of Donald Clan. Allegiances were important in this terrain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dowell research. Another 220 words(16 lines of text) covering the year 1606 is included under the topic Early Dowell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Dowell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dowell Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Wm Dowell, who landed in Virginia in 1714
- John Dowell, who arrived in North Carolina in 1753
- William Dowell, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1787
Dowell Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Samuel Dowell, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1812
- Alexander Dowell, who landed in New York, NY in 1815
- R Dowell, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Richard Dowell, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1872
- Cassius Clay Dowell (1864-1940), American Republican Representative from Iowa
- Jacob Dowell (b. 1985), American NHL professional ice hockey center
- Joe Dowell (b. 1940), American pop singer, best known for his rendition of "Wooden Heart"
- Horace Kirby "Saxie" Dowell (1904-1974), American jazz and pop music bandleader
- Alastair McQueen Dowell (1920-2010), Scottish cricketer
- Leonard Dowell (b. 1902), Scottish professional association football player
- George Dare Dowell (1831-1910), English soldier, who received the Victoria Cross for heroic deeds in 1855
- Sir Anthony James Dowell CBE (b. 1943), English ballet dancer and Artistic Director of Britain's Royal Ballet from 1986 to 2001
- Admiral Sir William Montagu Dowell GCB (1825-1912), Royal Navy officer, Commander-in- chief, Plymouth
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Dowell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dowell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 December 2013 at 18:45.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!