100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the German Diehl family come from? What is the German Diehl family crest and coat of arms? When did the Diehl family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Diehl family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Diehl, Diel, Dele, Deel, Diehle, Diele, Diehlen and others.
First found in Frankfurt, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society. The family is known to have come with the Teutonic Order to Prussia; Knoghts bearing this name fought against the Poles at the decisive battle of Tannenberg.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Diehl research. Another 119 words(8 lines of text) covering the years 1500 and 1625 are included under the topic Early Diehl History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 31 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Diehl Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Diehl Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Ananias Diehl, who arrived in New York in 1714
- Michael Diehl, who arrived in America in 1727
- Alexander Diehl, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1729
- Hans Jacob Diehl, who arrived in America in 1730
- Johann Adam Diehl, who arrived in America in 1731
Diehl Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Johan Stephan Diehl, aged 28, landed in Pennsylvania in 1805
- A. M. Diehl, age 25, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1820
- Georg Adam Diehl, who landed in America in 1832
- Mrs. Wilhelm Diehl, who landed in America in 1833
- Heinrich Diehl, who arrived in America in 1834
- Captain Walter Stuart Diehl (1893-1976), American naval officer and pioneering aeronautical engineer
- William Diehl (1924-2006), American novelist and photojournalist
- Guenter Diehl (b. 1916), former German Ambassador to India (1970-77) and Japan (1977-81)
- August Diehl (b. 1976), German actor, known for playing the Gestapo Sturmbannführer Dieter Hellstrom in Inglourious Basterds
- Philip H. Diehl (1847-1913), German-American engineer and inventor of the ceiling fan
- The Deal (also Diehl) Family of Hornbrook, California: Five Generations of Descendants From George Deal and Elizabeth Rexford Since He Came to California in 1851 by Lehmann Deal.
- The Diehl-Deal-Dill-Dale Families of America by Harry A. Diehl.
- Genealogy of the Descendants of Samuel Diehl and Margaretha Ritchey, His Wife, of Loudoun County, Va. and Bedford County, Pa., 1740-1828 by Diehl Genealogy Publishers Committee.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
The Diehl Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Diehl Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 November 2013 at 14:46.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!