100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Dickey family come from? What is the Scottish Dickey family crest and coat of arms? When did the Dickey family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Dickey family history?The western coast of Scotland and the desolate Hebrides islands are the ancient home of the Dickey family. Their name is derived from the name Dick, which is a diminutive of Richard.
Spelling variations were extremely common in medieval names, since scribes from that era recorded names according to sound rather than a standard set of rules. Dickey has appeared in various documents spelled Dickie, Dickey, Dikkie and others.
First found in Renfrewshire, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dickey research. Another 547 words(39 lines of text) covering the years 162 and 1627 are included under the topic Early Dickey History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Dickey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Dickey family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 103 words(7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
The descendants of the Dalriadan families who made the great crossing of the Atlantic still dot communities along the east coast of the United States and Canada. In the American War of Independence, many of the settlers traveled north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. Clan societies and highland games have allowed Canadian and American families of Scottish descent to recover much of their lost heritage. Investigation of the origins of family names on the North American continent has revealed that early immigrants bearing the name Dickey or a variant listed above include:
Dickey Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- In 1650 Daniel Dickey settled in Virginia in 1650
- DanII Dickey, who landed in Virginia in 1650
Dickey Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Alexander Dickey, who arrived in South Carolina in 1772
- Jane Dickey, who landed in South Carolina in 1772
- Arthur Dickey, who landed in America in 1795
Dickey Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Isaac Dickey, aged 20, landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804
- John Dickey, who arrived in America in 1805
- Nathaniel Dickey, who arrived in America in 1811
- James Dickey, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1811
- Adam Dickey, aged 35, landed in New York in 1812
- Robert Allen Dickey (b. 1974), American baseball player
- James Dickey (1923-1997), popular American poet and novelist
- Charles William Dickey (1871-1942), American architect
- William Malcolm "Bill" Dickey (1907-1993), American Major League Baseball catcher and manager
- Clifford Lynn Dickey (b. 1949), American retired NFL quarterback
- Dale Dickey (b. 1949), American actress
- Eric Jerome Dickey (b. 1961), American New York Times best-selling author
- Eldridge Reno Dickey (1945-2000), American football player
- William Hobart Dickey (1928-1994), American poet and professor
- Basil Dickey (1880-1958), American screenwriter
- Families and Kin of Elias Stockton, Moses, Dickey, and James Upchurch, Cherokee County, Texas, Pioneers by Mae Gean Pettit.
- John Alexander Dickey, Immigrants, 1772 by Grover C. Dickey.
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Bain, Robert. The Clans and Tartans of Scotland. Glasgow & London: Collins, 1968. Print. (ISBN 000411117-6).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
The Dickey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dickey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 November 2013 at 17:57.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!