100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the Spanish Delgadillo family come from? What is the Spanish Delgadillo family crest and coat of arms? When did the Delgadillo family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Delgadillo family history?The distinguished Spanish name Delgadillo is a nickname type of surname for a thin person. Originally, the Spanish people were known only by a single name. The process by which hereditary surnames were adopted in Spain is extremely interesting. Surnames evolved during the Middle Ages when people began to assume an extra name to avoid confusion and to further identify themselves. Often they adopted names that were derived from nicknames. Frequently, nickname surnames, such as Delgadillo, reflected the physical characteristics or attributes of the first person that used the name. The name Delgadillo is derived from the Spanish word "delgado," which means slender, and the Latin word "delicatus," which means dainty or exquisite.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Delgado, Delgadillo and others.
First found in Castile, predominant among the Christian kingdoms of medieval Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Delgadillo research. Another 362 words(26 lines of text) covering the year 1258 is included under the topic Early Delgadillo History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 51 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Delgadillo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Gonzalo Delgadillo, who came to New Spain in 1553-1554
Delgadillo Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Sebastian Delgadillo, who arrived in America in 1828
- Antonio Delgadillo, who landed in Dominican Republic in 1835
- Hernando Delgadillo, who landed in New Spain in 1838
- Miguel Delgadillo, who landed in New Spain in 1877
- Juan Delgadillo, who arrived in Peru in 1890
- Rockard John "Rocky" Delgadillo (b. 1960), American politician
- Ceyli Juliann Delgadillo, American former voice actress
- Angel Delgadillo, former American businessowner
- Melissa Delgadillo (b. 1982), American beauty queen, philanthropist, and socialite
- Diego Delgadillo (b. 1533), Spanish judge of the first Audiencia of New Spain
- Luis A Delgadillo, Nicaraguan composer
- Fernando Delgadillo (b. 1965), is a Mexican musician and composer
- Gerónimo Delgadillo (1900-1960), Mexican Olympic fencer
- José Luis Delgadillo (b. 1991), mexican football striker
- Antonio Pérez Delgadillo (b. 1983), Mexican professional footballer
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Delgadillo Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Delgadillo Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 March 2012 at 09:52.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!