An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the French Degregoire family come from? What is the French Degregoire family crest and coat of arms? When did the Degregoire family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Degregoire family history?The prestigious French surname Degregoire is a proud sign of a rich and dynamic ancestry.The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in France were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins. The name Degregoire is derived from the ancient Greek personal name Gregorein, which means watchful or awake.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gregoir, Gregoire, Greguer, Greguere, De Gregoire, Degregoire, De Gregoir, Degregoire and many more.
First found in Guyenne where they held a family seat in the village and estates of Gregoire in the department of Lot-et-Garonne in Tarn in the south of France.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Degregoire research. Another 180 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1531 and 1650 are included under the topic Early Degregoire History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Degregoire Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Francois Gregoire who arrived in Quebec in 1685 from Languedoc; as well as Mathurin Gregoire arrived in Quebec in 1669 from Picardy.
The Degregoire Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Degregoire Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 July 2011 at 13:30.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.