100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Dale family come from? What is the English Dale family crest and coat of arms? When did the Dale family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Dale family history?The origins of the Dale name lie with England's ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. It comes from when the family lived in the area referred to as the daleor a valley.
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Dale were recorded, including Dale, Daile, Dales, Dayle, Daele and others.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dale research. Another 314 words(22 lines of text) covering the years 1275, 1379, and 1634 are included under the topic Early Dale History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Dale Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Dale family emigrate to North America:
Dale Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Nicholas Dale, who arrived in Virginia in 1624
- Sir Thomas Dale settled in Virginia in 1626
- Thomas Dale settled in Barbados in 1635
- Humphry Dale, who landed in Virginia in 1638
- Jon Dale, who arrived in Virginia in 1638
Dale Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Saml Dale, who landed in Virginia in 1703
- Danl Dale, who arrived in Virginia in 1714
Dale Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Daniel Dale, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
- Samuel Dale, who arrived in New York, NY in 1816
- William A Tweed Dale, who arrived in New York in 1816
- Charles Augustus Dale, who arrived in New York in 1817
- William Dale, who arrived in New York in 1831
- Shana Dale (b. 1964), American politician and lawyer who served as the Deputy Administrator of NASA from 2005 to 2009
- James Badge Dale (b. 1978), American actor most famous for his role of Chase Edmunds in the third season of 24
- Alan Dale (1925-2002), American singer of traditional popular and rock and roll music
- Jim Dale MBE (b. 1935), English actor, voice artist, singer and songwriter
- Sir Henry Hallett Dale OM, GBE, PRS (1875-1968), English pharmacologist
- Cynthia Dale (b. 1961), Canadian television actress and stage performer
- Alan Hugh Dale (b. 1947), New Zealand actor
- The Dales of Eastern Shore, Maryland, and Tennessee by Clarice G. Neal.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
The Dale Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dale Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 September 2014 at 09:08.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!