An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Cumpton family come from? What is the English Cumpton family crest and coat of arms? When did the Cumpton family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Cumpton family history?The ancestry of the name Cumpton dates from the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of Britain. It comes from when the family lived in Compton, a place-name found in numerous locales throughout England. Villages called Compton are found in Berkshire, Huntingdonshire, Surrey, Sussex and Wiltshire. The name probably sprang from all of these locales at one time or another. Many of the villages date back to the Domesday Book  where there were listed with names like Contune (Berkshire), Cunone (Huntingdonshire), and more. However, the oldest listing was found in Compton Abbas, Dorset where it dates back before the Domesday Book to 956 as Cumtune. The name literally was derived from the Old English "cumb" + "tun" meaning "farmstead or village in a valley," so one can understand the many listings. 
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Cumpton have been found, including Compton, Comptons, Competom, Comptown, Comptowne, Comptoun, Comptaun, Comptaune, Comptoune, Coompton, Combton, Combtons, Combtown, Combtaune, Wilmington and many more.
First found in Devon where they held a family seat at Compton Castle, a fortified manor house in the village of Compton. The original undefended manor house was built in the mid-14th century and was home to Sir Humphrey Gilbert (1539–1583), coloniser of Newfoundland and half-brother of Sir Walter Raleigh.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cumpton research. Another 431 words(31 lines of text) covering the years 1212, 1650, 1482, 1528, 1630, 1625, 1663, 1632, 1713, 1675, 1713, 1601, 1643, 1622, 1681, 1660, 1681, 1675, 1679, 1669, 1691, 1673, 1743, 1632, 1713, 1675 and 1713 are included under the topic Early Cumpton History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 303 words(22 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cumpton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Cumpton, or a variant listed above: Thomas Compton settled in Roxbury, Massachusetts, in 1634; and was made a freeman of the colony in 1637. He moved to Boston the same year. John Compton was a wheelwright in Boston in 1638. William Compton settled in Ipswich in 1662.
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Tout bien ou rien
Motto Translation: All well or nothing.
The Cumpton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Cumpton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 September 2013 at 14:52.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.