BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Crosthwait family come from? What is the Scottish Crosthwait family crest and coat of arms? When did the Crosthwait family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Crosthwait family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Crossthwaite, Crosthwaite, Crosswaith, Crosswaite and others.
First found in Cumberland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Crosthwait research. Another 137 words(10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Crosthwait History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Crosthwait Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Crosthwait family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 235 words(17 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Edward and James Crossthwaith settled in New York in 1820.
- Timothy Crosthwait, Diplomat
- David Crosthwait (1898-1976), American mechanical and electrical engineer, inventor, and writer
- Robert Crosthwait (b. 1952), American professional football player
- Irwin Crosthwait (1914-1981), Canadian painter
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Prebble, John. The Highland Clearances. London: Secker & Warburg, 1963. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Skene, William Forbes Edition. Chronicles of the Picts, Chronicles of the Scots and Other Early Memorials of Scottish History. Edinburgh: H.M. General Register House, 1867. Print.
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. The Charters of David I The Written Acts of David I King of Scots, 1124-53 and of His Son Henry, Earl of Northumerland, 1139-52. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
The Crosthwait Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Crosthwait Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 July 2012 at 13:33.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is