100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the Irish Craven family come from? When did the Craven family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Craven family history?The surname Craven comes from either O Crabhain, which was prominent in County Galway, or Mac Crabhain which was located in the Monaghan and Louth area. The more anglicized form Craven, can also be an English toponymic though it is rarely of this origin in Ireland.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Cravane, Creavan, Craven, Cravan and others.
First found in County Galway (Irish: Gaillimh) part of the province of Connacht, located on the west coast of the Island. It was also found to be in Counties Monaghan and Louth.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Craven research. More information is included under the topic Early Craven History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Craven Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Craven Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Craven who settled in Virginia in the year 1626
- Tho Craven, who landed in Virginia in 1642
- Susan Craven, who arrived in Virginia in 1655
- Susan Craven who settled in the same Colony in the year 1655
- Thomas Craven, aged 17, who settled in America in the year 1655
Craven Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- John Craven, who arrived in Mississippi in 1798
Craven Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Jno Craven, aged 25, landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1803
- Jn Craven, aged 25, arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1805
- William P Craven, aged 26, arrived in Tennessee in 1812
- Richard Craven, who landed in New York in 1831
- James Craven, who arrived in New York in 1843
- Avery Odelle Craven (1886-1980), prominent American historian
- Braxton Craven (1822-1882), American educator, 1st president of Duke University (1849-1882)
- Richard Allen "Ricky" Craven (b. 1966), ESPN broadcaster and former NASCAR driver who won in four different series
- Margaret Craven (1901-1980), American author
- Wesley Earl "Wes" Craven (b. 1939), American horror movie director and screenwriter
- Sir Robert Craven (1916-1972), English RAF Air Marshall
- Daniel Hartman Craven (b. 1911), South African rugby player
- Sir Philip Craven MBE (b. 1950), British sports official and second President of the International Paralympic Committee
- Matt Craven (b. 1956), Canadian television and film actor
- Brigadier John Craven (b. 1894), Australian Commanding Officer 2nd Lines of Communications Sub-Area from 1942 to 1945
- History of the Beard, Bedichek, Craven and Allied Families by Pauline Beard Cooney.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
- Tepper, Michael Ed & Elizabeth P. Bentley Transcriber. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Philadelphia 1800-1819. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1986. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Sullivan, Sir Edward. The Book of Kells 3rd Edition. New York: Crescent Books, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-517-61987-3).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Kennedy, Patrick. Kennedy's Book of Arms. Canterbury: Achievements, 1967. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
This page was last modified on 5 February 2014 at 19:45.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!