BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Portuguese Couto family come from? What is the Portuguese Couto family crest and coat of arms? When did the Couto family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Couto family history?The noble Portuguese surname Couto is of local origin, as it is derived from the name of a place where a man once lived or owned land. It is derived from the Portuguese word "couto," which means "reserved ground or preserve." Thus, it simply indicates that the original bearer came from, or was the owner of such a place.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Couto, do Couto, Coutos, Coutao and others.
First found in the region of Portugal. Early records of the Couto name from the thirteenth century indicate that Rui Goncalves do Couto was the original bearer of the surname as he was the son of Goncalo Rodrigues da Maia, who was the lord of the preserve, "couto" of Palmazaos.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Couto research. Another 327 words(23 lines of text) covering the years 1536, 1542, and 1616 are included under the topic Early Couto History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 26 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Couto Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Couto Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- I Couto, aged 30, landed in New Orleans, La in 1826
- Pablo Couto, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1864
Couto Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Jacintho Couto, aged 35, who settled in America from Ribeira Funda, Azores St. Michael, in 1909
- Domingos Couto, aged 34, who settled in America, in 1919
- Angelo de Sa Couto, aged 17, who emigrated to the United States from Praeo do Spenho, Portugal, in 1919
- Antonio Marques Couto, aged 14, who landed in America from Estarreja, Portugal, in 1920
- Americo Soares Couto, aged 17, who landed in America from Ovar, Portugal, in 1920
- Kelly Couto, American voice actress
- José Torres Couto, Portuguese politician
- Alexandre do Couto, Portuguese mathematician and poet
- Ruy Ribeiro Couto, diplomat from Brazil
- Antonio do Couto, architect from Portugal
- Fernando Manuel Silva Couto (b. 1969), Portuguese retired footballer
- Emanuel Couto (b. 1973), Portuguese former professional tennis player, ranked World No. 91 in 1997
- Carla Sofia Basilio Couto (b. 1974), Portuguese football striker
- Jorge António Pinto do Couto (b. 1970), Portuguese retired footballer
- José Couto (b. 1978), Portuguese two-time silver medalist breaststroke swimmer in the 1990s
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla, Spain. Print.
The Couto Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Couto Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 December 2013 at 06:36.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is