BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Irish Corley family come from? What is the Irish Corley family crest and coat of arms? When did the Corley family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Corley family history?The Corley surname is an Anglicization, derived from the Irish Gaelic "Mac Toirdhealbhaigh."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Corley, MacCorley, Curley, Curlee, Curling, Kirley, McKerley, McCurley, McCurly and many more.
First found in the Connacht counties of Galway and Roscommon (Irish: Ros Comáin) located in central Ireland in the province of Connacht, where the places names Ballymacurley and Curley's Island can be found. There is also legend in Ireland, that the name descends from Maolduin, the second son of the 164th Monarch of Ireland, who founded the clanns of Muldoon. Maolduin's great, great grandson was Clercen, whose name means "curly one." Clercen founded the Clan O'Cleircen, which anglicized is Curley or Curling.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Corley research. Another 129 words(9 lines of text) covering the years 130 and 1305 are included under the topic Early Corley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Corley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Corley Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Rich Corley, who was among those given a land patent in Virginia in 1675-76
Corley Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- N Corley, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Bridget Corley, aged 20, who settled in America, in 1896
- Cyrus C. Corley, aged 53, who emigrated to America, in 1896
- Felix Corley, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from Monaghan, in 1899
- Alice Corley, aged 22, who landed in America from Castleblarney, in 1899
Corley Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Ann Corley, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Ballyvary, in 1900
- Anne Corley, aged 19, who landed in America from Castlebar, in 1901
- Annes Haven Corley, aged 25, who settled in America from London, in 1905
- Celia Corley, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States from County Mayo, in 1905
- Annie Corley, aged 26, who landed in America from Ballymote, Ireland, in 1907
- Al Corley (b. 1956), American actor, singer and producer
- Pat Corley (1930-2006), American actor, best known for his role as Phil on the CBS sitcom Murphy Brown from 1988 to 1996
- Brigadier General John T. Corley (1914-1977), American career Army officer noted for his contributions to Army training
- General John D. W. Corley, American general, 32nd Vice Chief of Staff of the Air Force
- Edwin Raymond Corley (1931-1981), American novelist
- Donald Corley (1886-1955), American author of short stories, illustrator and architect
- Harry Cecil Corley (1878-1936), Irish sportsman and sport official
- The Southern Sojourners: Corley-Sanford and Allied Lines by Rosemary Corley Neal.
- William Corley and David Nolen Descendants of Tennessee and Illinois, 1730-1982 by Lynette Nolen McCarthy.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
The Corley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Corley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 July 2014 at 09:08.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is