100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Irish Corley family come from? What is the Irish Corley family crest and coat of arms? When did the Corley family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Corley family history?The Corley surname is an Anglicization, derived from the Irish Gaelic "Mac Toirdhealbhaigh."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Corley, MacCorley, Curley, Curlee, Curling, Kirley, McKerley, McCurley, McCurly and many more.
First found in the Connacht counties of Galway and Roscommon (Irish: Ros Comáin) located in central Ireland in the province of Connacht, where the places names Ballymacurley and Curley's Island can be found. There is also legend in Ireland, that the name descends from Maolduin, the second son of the 164th Monarch of Ireland, who founded the clanns of Muldoon. Maolduin's great, great grandson was Clercen, whose name means "curly one." Clercen founded the Clan O'Cleircen, which anglicized is Curley or Curling.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Corley research. Another 129 words(9 lines of text) covering the years 130 and 1305 are included under the topic Early Corley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Corley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Corley Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Rich Corley, who was among those given a land patent in Virginia in 1675-76
Corley Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- N Corley, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Bridget Corley, aged 20, who settled in America, in 1896
- Cyrus C. Corley, aged 53, who emigrated to America, in 1896
- Felix Corley, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from Monaghan, in 1899
- Alice Corley, aged 22, who landed in America from Castleblarney, in 1899
Corley Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Ann Corley, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Ballyvary, in 1900
- Anne Corley, aged 19, who landed in America from Castlebar, in 1901
- Annes Haven Corley, aged 25, who settled in America from London, in 1905
- Celia Corley, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States from County Mayo, in 1905
- Annie Corley, aged 26, who landed in America from Ballymote, Ireland, in 1907
- Al Corley (b. 1956), American actor, singer and producer
- Pat Corley (1930-2006), American actor, best known for his role as Phil on the CBS sitcom Murphy Brown from 1988 to 1996
- Brigadier General John T. Corley (1914-1977), American career Army officer noted for his contributions to Army training
- General John D. W. Corley, American general, 32nd Vice Chief of Staff of the Air Force
- Edwin Raymond Corley (1931-1981), American novelist
- Donald Corley (1886-1955), American author of short stories, illustrator and architect
- Harry Cecil Corley (1878-1936), Irish sportsman and sport official
- The Southern Sojourners: Corley-Sanford and Allied Lines by Rosemary Corley Neal.
- William Corley and David Nolen Descendants of Tennessee and Illinois, 1730-1982 by Lynette Nolen McCarthy.
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
The Corley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Corley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 July 2014 at 09:08.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!