BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Dutch, German
Where did the Dutch Conklin family come from? What is the Dutch Conklin family crest and coat of arms? When did the Conklin family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Conklin family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Conklin, Conkling and others.
First found in early documents where it was derived from the Dutch word "konkelen" which means "conspirator."
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Conklin research. More information is included under the topic Early Conklin History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 177 words(13 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Conklin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Conklin Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Ananias Conklin, who arrived in Salem, MA sometime between 1630 and 1640
- Ananias Conklin, who landed in Salem, Massachusetts in 1635-1637
Conklin Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Betsey Conklin, aged 35, arrived in America in 1821
- Mr. Conklin, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1821
- Betsey Conklin, who settled in New York, NY in 1821
- D Conklin, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- J Conklin, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
Conklin Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Annie Conklin, aged 23, who landed in America from Tullamore, in 1903
- Charles Treadwell Conklin, aged 35, who landed in America, in 1907
- Almira Conklin, aged 50, who emigrated to the United States, in 1913
- Edward Conklin, aged 34, who landed in America, in 1921
- Chester Cooper Conklin (1886-1971), American comedian and actor
- James Wesley "Patty" Conklin (b. 1892), American promoter who founded Conklin Shows
- Groff Conklin (1904-1968), leading American science fiction anthologist
- Lee Conklin (b. 1938), American musician
- Ty Curtis Conklin (b. 1976), American professional NHL ice hockey goaltender
- Nicholas Conklin (1782-1858), founder of Conklin, New York
- Heinie Conklin (1889-1959), American silent film actor who appeared in nearly 400 films
- Edwin Grant Conklin (1863-1952), American biologist and zoologist
- William Conklin (1872-1935), American silent film actor who appeared in 85 films
- Cary Lee Conklin (b. 1968), former American NFL football quarterback
- The Conklin Family: Nicholas Conklin of Cochecton, New York, and His Descendants by Richard O. Eldred.
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Virtutis gloria merces
Motto Translation: Glory is the reward of valour.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- De Amicis, Edmondo and Helen Zimmern. Holland. Philadelphia: Porter & Coates, 1894. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Großes Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Conklin Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Conklin Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 June 2014 at 17:44.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is