An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Dutch Cloer family come from? What is the Dutch Cloer family crest and coat of arms? When did the Cloer family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Cloer family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Claver, Clavver, Claverr, Clavers, Clavere, Chlaver, Clavar, Clevar, Clavier, Cleaver, Claever and many more.
First found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in North Holland, a province of the Netherlands. The principal cities are Amsterdam, Haarlem and Hilversum. It was the seat of the old Counts of Holland. Seat of one of the oldest families is Brederode Castle near Haarlem. There are many old and quaint towns in the province. including Medemblik, Enkhuizen, Hoorn, Edam, and Monnikendam. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cloer research. Another 267 words(19 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cloer History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Cloer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Lucas Clavier, who settled in Canada in 1535; Ryck Claes, who came to New Netherland in 1651; Bartel Nicolaes Claes, who settled in New Netherland in 1651.
The Cloer Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Cloer Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 April 2013 at 20:21.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.