BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Clinton family come from? What is the Scottish Clinton family crest and coat of arms? When did the Clinton family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Clinton family history?Though hidden in the annals of history, the chronicles of Scotland reveal the early records of the Norman surname Clinton which ranks as one of the oldest. The history of the name is interwoven within the colorful plaid of Scottish history and is an intrinsic part of the heritage of this ancient nation.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Clinton, Glinton, Clintone and others.
First found in Oxfordshire, where they held a family seat from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Clinton research. Another 245 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1315, 1330, 1572, 1415, 1898, 1386, 1394, 1397, 1404, 1414, 1415, 1378, 1431, 1512, 1585, 1624, 1657, 1646 and are included under the topic Early Clinton History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 291 words(21 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Clinton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Clinton family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 125 words(9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Clinton Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Joseph Clinton settled in St. Christopher in 1635
- Jo Clinton, aged 19, arrived in St Christopher in 1635
- Mary Clinton, who landed in Virginia in 1636
- Edward Clinton settled in Barbados in 1654
- Cornelius Clinton who settled in Virginia in 1656
Clinton Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Charles Clinton settled in New York in 1728, from Northumberland in England
- Christiana Clinton, who arrived in New York in 1729
- Francis Clinton, who landed in New England in 1730
- John Clinton settled in New England in 1753
Clinton Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Bartholmew Clinton, who arrived in New York, NY in 1816
- Bartholomew Clinton, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
- Dolly Clinton, who landed in New York, NY in 1817
- Hannah Clinton, who arrived in New York, NY in 1817
- James Clinton, who landed in New York, NY in 1817
- Hillary Rodham Clinton Senator (b. 1947), American lawyer/wife of President Clinton, current United States Secretary of State
- James Clinton (1736-1812), American soldier
- Gordon S. Clinton (b. 1920), American politician, mayor of Seattle (1956-1964)
- DeWitt Clinton (1769-1828), American politician, mayor of New York City, and governor of New York State
- General Sir Henry Clinton (1738-1795), British army officer and politician who is best known for his service as a general during the American Revolutionary War
- Henry Fynes Clinton (1781-1852), British classical scholar and chronologist
- George Clinton (1739-1828), Vice-President of the United States (1739-1812)
- President William Jefferson "Bill" Clinton (b. 1946), born William Jefferson Blythe III, American politician, 42nd President of the United States, recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Scots Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Mordern Application of the Art and Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Catholic Directory For Scotland. Glasgow: Burns Publications. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Prebble, John. The Highland Clearances. London: Secker & Warburg, 1963. Print.
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and Don Pottinger. Clan Map Scotland of Old. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1983. Print.
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
The Clinton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Clinton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 November 2013 at 15:53.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is