100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Clinton family come from? What is the Scottish Clinton family crest and coat of arms? When did the Clinton family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Clinton family history?Though hidden in the annals of history, the chronicles of Scotland reveal the early records of the Norman surname Clinton which ranks as one of the oldest. The history of the name is interwoven within the colorful plaid of Scottish history and is an intrinsic part of the heritage of this ancient nation.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Clinton, Glinton, Clintone and others.
First found in Oxfordshire, where they were recorded as a family of great antiquity seated at Glinton with manor and estates in that shire. They are said to be descended from Reinbaldus who accompanied the Conqueror into England. Sire Johan de Clinton (d. 1315) was the earliest on record. He assumed his surname from Glinton anciently written Clinton. The peerage of Baron Clinton was created for him in 1298. This began a long line of Barons Clinton including: John de Clinton, 2nd Baron Clinton (d. c. 1335); John de Clinton, 3rd Baron Clinton (d. 1398); William de Clinton, 4th Baron Clinton (1378-1431); John de Clinton, 5th Baron Clinton (1410-1464) and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Clinton research. Another 137 words(10 lines of text) covering the years 1330, 1572, 1415, 1898, 1386, 1394, 1397, 1404, 1414, 1415, 1378, 1431, 1512, 1585, 1624, 1657, 1646, 1648, 1686, 1761, 1731, 1743, 1753 and are included under the topic Early Clinton History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 357 words(26 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Clinton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Clinton family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 125 words(9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Clinton Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Joseph Clinton settled in St. Christopher in 1635
- Jo Clinton, aged 19, arrived in St Christopher in 1635
- Mary Clinton, who landed in Virginia in 1636
- Edward Clinton settled in Barbados in 1654
- Cornelius Clinton who settled in Virginia in 1656
Clinton Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Charles Clinton settled in New York in 1728, from Northumberland in England
- Christiana Clinton, who arrived in New York in 1729
- Francis Clinton, who landed in New England in 1730
- John Clinton settled in New England in 1753
Clinton Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Bartholmew Clinton, who arrived in New York, NY in 1816
- Bartholomew Clinton, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
- Dolly Clinton, who landed in New York, NY in 1817
- Hannah Clinton, who arrived in New York, NY in 1817
- James Clinton, who landed in New York, NY in 1817
- Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton Senator (b. 1947), American lawyer/wife of former President Clinton, former 67th United States Secretary of State (2009-2013)
- James Clinton (1736-1812), American Revolutionary War officer
- Gordon S. Clinton (b. 1920), American politician, Mayor of Seattle (1956-1964)
- DeWitt Clinton (1769-1828), American politician, mayor of New York City, and governor of New York State
- George Clinton (b. 1941), American singer, songwriter, bandleader, and music producer, inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997
- Larry Clinton (1909-1985), American trumpeter, bandleader and arranger who worked with Tommy Dorsey, Jimmy Dorsey, Glen Gray, Louis Armstrong and others
- George William Clinton (1807-1885), American politician, Mayor of Buffalo, New York (1842-1843)
- General Sir Henry Clinton (1738-1795), British army officer and politician who is best known for his service as a general during the American Revolutionary War
- Henry Fynes Clinton (1781-1852), British classical scholar and chronologist
- George Clinton (1739-1828), Vice-President of the United States (1739-1812), one of the Founding Fathers of the United States
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Browne, James. The History of Scotland it's Highlands, Regiments and Clans 8 Volumes. Edinburgh: Francis A Niccolls & Co, 1909. Print.
- Warner, Philip Warner. Famous Scottish Battles. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1996. Print. (ISBN 0-76070-004-4).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
The Clinton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Clinton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 October 2014 at 11:55.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!