BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Clinton family come from? What is the Scottish Clinton family crest and coat of arms? When did the Clinton family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Clinton family history?Though hidden in the annals of history, the chronicles of Scotland reveal the early records of the Norman surname Clinton which ranks as one of the oldest. The history of the name is interwoven within the colorful plaid of Scottish history and is an intrinsic part of the heritage of this ancient nation.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Clinton, Glinton, Clintone and others.
First found in Oxfordshire, where they held a family seat from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Clinton research. Another 245 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1315, 1330, 1572, 1415, 1898, 1386, 1394, 1397, 1404, 1414, 1415, 1378, 1431, 1512, 1585, 1624, 1657, 1646 and are included under the topic Early Clinton History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 291 words(21 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Clinton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Clinton family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 125 words(9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Clinton Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Joseph Clinton settled in St. Christopher in 1635
- Jo Clinton, aged 19, arrived in St Christopher in 1635
- Mary Clinton, who landed in Virginia in 1636
- Edward Clinton settled in Barbados in 1654
- Cornelius Clinton who settled in Virginia in 1656
Clinton Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Charles Clinton settled in New York in 1728, from Northumberland in England
- Christiana Clinton, who arrived in New York in 1729
- Francis Clinton, who landed in New England in 1730
- John Clinton settled in New England in 1753
Clinton Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Bartholmew Clinton, who arrived in New York, NY in 1816
- Bartholomew Clinton, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
- Dolly Clinton, who landed in New York, NY in 1817
- Hannah Clinton, who arrived in New York, NY in 1817
- James Clinton, who landed in New York, NY in 1817
- Hillary Rodham Clinton Senator (b. 1947), American lawyer/wife of President Clinton, current United States Secretary of State
- James Clinton (1736-1812), American soldier
- Gordon S. Clinton (b. 1920), American politician, mayor of Seattle (1956-1964)
- DeWitt Clinton (1769-1828), American politician, mayor of New York City, and governor of New York State
- General Sir Henry Clinton (1738-1795), British army officer and politician who is best known for his service as a general during the American Revolutionary War
- Henry Fynes Clinton (1781-1852), British classical scholar and chronologist
- George Clinton (1739-1828), Vice-President of the United States (1739-1812)
- President William Jefferson "Bill" Clinton (b. 1946), born William Jefferson Blythe III, American politician, 42nd President of the United States, recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Warner, Philip Warner. Famous Scottish Battles. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1996. Print. (ISBN 0-76070-004-4).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and Don Pottinger. Clan Map Scotland of Old. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1983. Print.
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- Bain, Robert. The Clans and Tartans of Scotland. Glasgow & London: Collins, 1968. Print. (ISBN 000411117-6).
The Clinton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Clinton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 November 2013 at 15:53.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is