BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Irish Callan family come from? What is the Irish Callan family crest and coat of arms? When did the Callan family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Callan family history?The name Callan comes from the Irish Gaelic O Cathalain. The Gaelic versions of today's Irish names demonstrate a link to a proud, ancient past. The name is possibly derived from Cathalan, king of Farney slain in 1028, whose name means Little Charles, and from whom the family is thought to have descended. Cathalan was in turn descended from Coleman Mor, the king of Meath and (the 133rd Monarch of Ireland).
Irish names were rarely spelled consistently in the Middle Ages. Spelling variations of the name Callan dating from that time include Callan, Callanan, Caillan, Calan, Calanan, Callen, Callin, Callon, Callinan, Callinon and many more.
First found in County Roscommon (Irish: Ros Comáin) located in central Ireland in the province of Connacht, where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Callan research. Another 261 words(19 lines of text) covering the years 1027 and 1280 are included under the topic Early Callan History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Callan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Thousands of Irish families left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name Callan:
Callan Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Peter Callan who settled in Cape Elizabeth, Maine in 1683
Callan Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Hugh Callan, who landed in Virginia in 1705
- Margt Callan, who landed in Virginia in 1705
- Charles Callan settled in Delaware in 1772
- Alexander Callan settled in Wilmington, N.C. in 1774
- Alexander Callan, aged 22, landed in Wilmington North Carolina in 1774
Callan Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- John Callan, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1809
- Santiago Callan, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1816
- Thomas Callan, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1836
- Patrick Callan, who arrived in America in 1837
- James Callan, aged 20, arrived in New York in 1854
- Michael Callan (b. 1935), American stage, film and television actor
- Curtis Callan (b. 1942), American theoretical physicist and a professor at Princeton University
- K Callan (b. 1942), American actress
- Clair Armstrong Callan (1920-2005), Nebraska Democratic politician
- Thomas Joseph Callan (1853-1908), United States Army soldier who received the Medal of Honor
- Father Nicholas Joseph Callan (1799-1864), Irish priest and scientist
- Dave Callan (b. 1975), Irish comedian based in Perth, Australia
- Colm Patrick Callan (1923-2010), Irish rugby player
- Harold Garnet Callan FRS, FRSE (1917-1993), British biologist
- Tim Callan (b. 1984), Australian Rules Football player
- The Tansill, Bender, Callan, Holmead, and other Early American Families by Xavier Bender Tansill.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Johnson, Daniel F. Irish Emigration to New England Through the Port of Saint John, New Brunswick Canada 1841-1849. Baltimore, Maryland: Clearfield, 1996. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Tepper, Michael Ed & Elizabeth P. Bentley Transcriber. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Philadelphia 1800-1819. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1986. Print.
The Callan Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Callan Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 August 2014 at 12:04.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is