100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the German Buttner family come from? What is the German Buttner family crest and coat of arms? When did the Buttner family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Buttner family history?The German state of Bavariais the ancestral home of the Buttner family. Hereditary surnames began to be used in Germany during the 12th century. Names like Buttner, that came from the name of the job done by their initial bearer, were very popular. Buttner is an occupational name for a cooper or a barrel maker. Further research revealed that the name is derived from the German word Bute, which means cask or wine barrel. In the Middle Ages, the Buttner family was responsible for making the barrels that held ale, beer and wines. In Bavaria, the Buttner family became renowned for its many branches and for the influential role it played in the social, economic and political development of the region.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Buttner, Butner, Buttnner, Butnner, Beuttner, Butener, Buttener, Buttnen, Buttnel, Buttnele, Butnen, Butnel, Butnele, Bottner, Boettner, Buettner, Botner, Boetner and many more.
First found in Bavaria, where the name Buttner became noted for its many branches within the region where each house acquired a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. Over time, the family became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Buttner research. Another 197 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1792, 1616, 1679 and 1945 are included under the topic Early Buttner History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 31 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Buttner Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Georg Buttner, accompanied by his wife Maria Schleze and their five children
Buttner Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Gottlob Buttner, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1741
- Hans Mich Buttner, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1747
- Heinrich Buttner, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1747
- Michael Buttner, who landed in Lancaster, Pennsylvania in 1755
- Michael Buttner who arrived in Pennsylvania in Lancaster, Pennsylvania in 1755
Buttner Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Joh M Buttner, who landed in North America in 1832-1849
- Jacob Buttner, aged 23, arrived in Missouri in 1840
- George Buttner, aged 23, arrived in Missouri in 1840
- Conrad Buttner, aged 56, landed in Missouri in 1843
- Conrad Buttner arrived in Missouri in 1843
- Brenda Buttner (b. 1961), American senior business correspondent, host of Bulls & Bears on Fox News Channel
- Jean Buttner, Chairman of the Board, President, CEO, and COO of Value Line, Inc. and Arnold Bernhard & Co., Inc
- Erich Büttner (1889-1936), German painter, member of Berlin Secession
- Erich Büttner (d. 1945), German WWII fighter ace credited with eight aerial victories
- Kurt Büttner (1881-1967), German entomologist who specialised in Heteroptera
- Richard Büttner (b. 1858), German botanist and mineralogist
- Steffen Büttner (b. 1963), German former football defender
- Professor Mark Buttner, Department of Molecular Microbiology at the John Innes Centre, Norwich England
- Alexander Buttner (b. 1989), Dutch footballer
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
The Buttner Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Buttner Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 May 2013 at 04:01.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!