100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Burford family come from? What is the English Burford family crest and coat of arms? When did the Burford family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Burford family history?The Anglo-Saxon name Burford comes from the family having resided in the region of Burford in parishes in Oxfordshire and Salop.
Burford has been spelled many different ways, including Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Burford, Bareford, Berford, Barford, Buford, Burfort and many more.
First found in Shropshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Burford research. Another 285 words(20 lines of text) covering the year 1329 is included under the topic Early Burford History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 27 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Burford Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Burford family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 114 words(8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Burfords to arrive on North American shores:
Burford Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- William Burford, who came to Virginia in 1637
- Wm Burford, who arrived in Virginia in 1637
- George Burford settled in Virginia in 1643
- Geo, Burford Jr., who landed in Virginia in 1643
- Georg Burford, who arrived in Virginia in 1643
Burford Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Gervaise Burford, who came to Annapolis in 1773
- Edward Burford who settled in Maryland in 1775
Burford Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Burford, aged 54, landed in New York in 1812
- Peter Burford, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1823
- Josiah Burford, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844
- Eli Burford, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844
- N Burford, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Nathaniel Macon Burford (1824-1898), American politician, Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives between 1866 and 1869
- Chris Burford (b. 1938), American professional (AFL) football player
- Ephraim Burford (1905-1997), English historian and author
- Anne M Burford (1942-2004), first female Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency from 1981-83
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
The Burford Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Burford Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 June 2012 at 21:14.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!