BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Brownell family come from? What is the English Brownell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Brownell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Brownell family history?The Brownell surname is thought to be a habitational name, created from any of various places in England called Brownell. There was a Brownell in Yorkshire, in Cheshire, and in Staffordshire. These place names in turn come from the Old English "brun,"meaning "brown," and "hyll" meaning "a hill."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Brownell, Brounell, Brownel and others.
First found in Derbyshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times. The Brownell surname may even pre-date the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Brownell research. Another 248 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1275 and 1329 are included under the topic Early Brownell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Brownell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Brownell Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Anne Brownell who settled in Massachusetts in 1630 with her husband Thomas
- Thomas Brownell, who landed in Rhode Island in 1638
Brownell Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Silas Brownell arrived in New York in 1823
- T. A. A. W. Brownell arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- E. H. Brownell, aged 37, who emigrated to the United States from London, in 1892
- E. F. Brownell, aged 35, who settled in America, in 1893
- Clara Brownell, aged 38, who landed in America, in 1894
Brownell Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Adela Brownell, who settled in America, in 1900
- A.S. Brownell, aged 40, who landed in America from London, in 1904
- Carl W. Brownell, aged 38, who landed in America, in 1904
- Anna J. Brownell, aged 55, who emigrated to America, in 1905
- Elizabeth A. Brownell, aged 59, who landed in America, in 1905
- Herbert Brownell Jr. (1904-1996), Attorney General of the United States in President Eisenhower's cabinet from 1953 to 1957
- Sonia Mary Brownell (1918-1980), second and last wife of writer George Orwell
- Henry Howard Brownell (1820-1872), American lawyer, poet and prose writer
- William Crary Brownell (1851-1928), American journalist and literary critic
- Eric Lindsay Douglas Brownell (1876-1945), English (Australian-born) cricketer
- Frederick Gordon Brownell OMSS, SM, MMM, JCD, South African State Herald (1982-2002,) vexillologist, and genealogist
- Air Commodore Raymond James Brownell CBE, MC, MM (1894-1974), Australian First World War flying ace
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
The Brownell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Brownell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 January 2014 at 11:36.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is