100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Brittingham family come from? What is the English Brittingham family crest and coat of arms? When did the Brittingham family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Brittingham family history?The surname Brittingham is derived from "Brettenham," the name of a village in Norfolk. This name is most likely made up of the elements " Breton," meaning "one from Brittany," and "ham," meaning "estate, village."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Brittingham, Brettenham, Brittenham and others.
First found in Clare, Suffolk. The first known bearer of the name was a Norman knight named Osbert de Bretehem, who was recorded in 1166. Another early bearer of the name was Turoldus de Breteham, who was listed in the Pipe Rolls of Suffolk in 1169.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Brittingham research. Another 277 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1198, 1299, 1477, 1640, and 1747 are included under the topic Early Brittingham History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 35 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Brittingham Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Brittingham Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- William Brittingham, who arrived in Maryland in 1659
Brittingham Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Mr. Beverly M. Brittingham, aged 36, who emigrated to the United States, in 1905
- T. H. Brittingham, who emigrated to America, in 1907
- Hannah Brittingham, aged 23, who emigrated to America, in 1907
- F. E. Brittingham, who landed in America, in 1908
- John C. Brittingham, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States, in 1909
- Jack Brittingham (b. 1958), American television show director, and host of the show “Jack Brittingham’s World of Hunting Adventure”
- Brigadier-General James Francis Brittingham (1894-1983), American Commanding General Artillery 3rd Army (1945-1946)
- Lindsay Charles Brittingham (b. 1928), Australian physician
- Eric Brittingham (b. 1961), American bassist for the band Cinderella
- Geoffrey Brittingham, illustrator of children's books
- Bill Brittingham (b. 1923), Australian rules footballer
- Samuel Charles Brittingham (1860-1944), British-born, Australian architect
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
The Brittingham Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Brittingham Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 September 2013 at 12:54.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!