BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Brittingham family come from? What is the English Brittingham family crest and coat of arms? When did the Brittingham family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Brittingham family history?The surname Brittingham is derived from "Brettenham," the name of a village in Norfolk. This name is most likely made up of the elements " Breton," meaning "one from Brittany," and "ham," meaning "estate, village."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Brittingham, Brettenham, Brittenham and others.
First found in Clare, Suffolk. The first known bearer of the name was a Norman knight named Osbert de Bretehem, who was recorded in 1166. Another early bearer of the name was Turoldus de Breteham, who was listed in the Pipe Rolls of Suffolk in 1169.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Brittingham research. Another 277 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1198, 1299, 1477, 1640, and 1747 are included under the topic Early Brittingham History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 35 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Brittingham Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Brittingham Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- William Brittingham, who arrived in Maryland in 1659
Brittingham Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Mr. Beverly M. Brittingham, aged 36, who emigrated to the United States, in 1905
- T. H. Brittingham, who emigrated to America, in 1907
- Hannah Brittingham, aged 23, who emigrated to America, in 1907
- F. E. Brittingham, who landed in America, in 1908
- John C. Brittingham, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States, in 1909
- Jack Brittingham (b. 1958), American television show director, and host of the show “Jack Brittingham’s World of Hunting Adventure”
- Brigadier-General James Francis Brittingham (1894-1983), American Commanding General Artillery 3rd Army (1945-1946)
- Lindsay Charles Brittingham (b. 1928), Australian physician
- Eric Brittingham (b. 1961), American bassist for the band Cinderella
- Geoffrey Brittingham, illustrator of children's books
- Bill Brittingham (b. 1923), Australian rules footballer
- Samuel Charles Brittingham (1860-1944), British-born, Australian architect
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
The Brittingham Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Brittingham Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 September 2013 at 12:54.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is