100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Origins Available: German, Irish
Where did the Irish Bracken family come from? What is the Irish Bracken family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bracken family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bracken family history?The Irish name Bracken was originally written in a Gaelic form as O Breacain, from the word breac, which means speckled.
Just like the English language, the Gaelic language of Ireland was not standardized in the Middle Ages. Therefore, one's name was often recorded under several different spellings during the life of its bearer. Spelling variations revealed in the search for the origins of the Bracken family name include Bracken, Braken and others.
First found in Dublin, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bracken research. Another 409 words(29 lines of text) covering the year 1014 is included under the topic Early Bracken History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Bracken Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Death and immigration greatly reduced Ireland's population in the 19th century. For the native Irish people poverty, hunger, and racial prejudice was common. Therefore, thousands left their homeland to seek opportunity in North America. Those who survived the journey and the quarantine camps to which they arrived, were instrumental towards building the strong developing nations of the United States and the future Canada. By far, the largest influx of Irish settlers occurred with Great Potato Famine during the late 1840s. These were employed as construction or factory workers. An examination of passenger and immigration lists has shown early immigrants bearing the name Bracken:
Bracken Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- John Bracken, who settled in New England in 1806
- Jas Bracken, who arrived in America in 1806
- John Bracken, who landed in America in 1806
- Margt Bracken, who landed in America in 1806
- Robt Bracken, who landed in America in 1806
Bracken Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Miles W. Bracken, aged 37, who emigrated to the United States from Westmorland, in 1903
- Martin Bracken, aged 24, who landed in America from Tullamore, in 1904
- Margaret Bracken, aged 60, who emigrated to the United States from Tullamore, in 1904
- Kate Bracken, aged 18, who emigrated to America from Naas, Ireland, in 1904
- F. B. Bracken, who settled in America, in 1905
- Eddie Bracken (1920-2002), American comedic actor
- Thomas Bracken (1843-1898), Irish poet, sent to Australia at age 12, moved to New Zealand where he wrote the New Zealand National Anthem
- Brendan Rendall Bracken (1901-1958), Irish born journalist and politician, made Viscount Bracken, of Christchurch, County Southampton, in 1952
- John Bracken, Canadian political leader, premier of Manitoba (1922–42) and member of the Canadian House of Commons
- The Brackin Family in the Southeastern United States by Henry B. Brackin.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Tepper, Michael Ed & Elizabeth P. Bentley Transcriber. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Philadelphia 1800-1819. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1986. Print.
- Kennedy, Patrick. Kennedy's Book of Arms. Canterbury: Achievements, 1967. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7).
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Woodham-Smith, Cecil. The Great Hunger Ireland 1845-1849. New York: Old Town Books, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-385-3).
The Bracken Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bracken Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 May 2012 at 16:37.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!