BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: German, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Bolin family come from? What is the Scottish Bolin family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bolin family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bolin family history?The ancestors of the Bolin family came to Scotland with the Normans in the 11th century. The Bolin surname is derived from someone who lived in one of the numerous locations named Borland or Boreland in the counties of Dumfriesshire, Galloway, Fife, and Perthshire. The name of these places is thought to mean home-farm.
There has been great variation in spelling of Scottish names over the centuries. Spelling variations of the name Bolin include Boland, Borland, Bolan, Bolland, Bollin, Boreland and many more.
First found in Surrey, where they had been granted lands by King William after the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bolin research. Another 314 words(22 lines of text) covering the year 1625 is included under the topic Early Bolin History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Bolin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Settlers of this name who made their way from Scotland to North America include:
Bolin Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Michael Bolin, aged 24, landed in America in 1822
- Johan Anders Bolin, aged 47, arrived in America in 1826
- M Bolin, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Carl P Bolin, aged 47, arrived in America in 1854
- Carl Peter Bolin, aged 47, landed in America in 1854
- Bobby Donald Bolin (b. 1939), American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Daniel Holbrook "Danny" Bolin, American soccer midfielder
- Shannon Bolin (b. 1917), American actress from Spencer, South Dakota who sometimes used the pseudonym of Anne Bolin
- Thomas Richard "Tommy" Bolin (1951-1976), American rock guitarist who played with Zephyr, The James Gang and Deep Purple
- Wesley Bolin (1909-1978), American politician
- James Edwin Bolin Sr. (1914-2002), American jurist and politician, judge of the Louisiana Second Circuit Court of Appeal and Louisiana Supreme Court
- Jane Matilda Bolin LL.B. (1908-2007), first African-American woman to graduate from Yale Law School
- Axel Bertil Bolin (b. 1923), Swedish lawyer and international official
- Bert Rickard Johannes Bolin (b. 1925), Swedish meteorologist, recipient of the Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement (1988)
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Bolin Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bolin Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 September 2012 at 08:50.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is