100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the German Bloch family come from? What is the German Bloch family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bloch family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bloch family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bloch, Block, Bloche, Blocher, Blochmann and others.
First found in Pomerania, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the name became an integral part of that eastern region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bloch research. Another 195 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1787, 1631, 1690, 1642, 1719, 1723, 1799, 1749 and 1839 are included under the topic Early Bloch History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 147 words(10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bloch Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bloch Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Bloch, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1766
Bloch Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Lazarus Bloch arrived in Philadelphia in 1840
- Emil Bloch, who arrived in Texas in 1850
- Karolina Bloch, aged 22, landed in America in 1854
- Ester Bloch, aged 17, landed in America in 1854
- Henry Bloch, aged 59, arrived in New York in 1854
Bloch Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Ernest Bloch, who arrived in America in 1915
- Alex Bloch, who landed in Alabama in 1924
- Elje Bloch, who landed in Alabama in 1924
- Ernest Bloch, American (Swiss-born) composer
- Felix Bloch (1905-1983), American (Swiss-born) physicist, who shared the 1952 Nobel Prize in Physics
- Konrad Emil Bloch (1912-2000), American (German-born) biochemist, who shared the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1964
- Robert Bloch (1917-1994), American writer and screenwriter, best known for writing "Psycho"
- First Lieutenant Orville Emil Bloch, American officer awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1944
- Ernst Bloch (1885-1977), German Marxist writer and philosopher
- Martin Bloch (1883-1954), German painter
- Jean-Richard Bloch (1884-1947), French novelist
- Marc Léopold Benjamin Bloch (1886-1944), French historian
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
The Bloch Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bloch Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 October 2013 at 16:15.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!