100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Blackman family come from? What is the English Blackman family crest and coat of arms? When did the Blackman family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Blackman family history?
The name, Blackman, occurred in many references, and from time to time, it was spelt Blackman, Blachman, Blackmann and others.
First found in Durham where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Blackman research. Another 245 words(18 lines of text) covering the year 1086 is included under the topic Early Blackman History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Blackman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
The New World beckoned settlers from the Scottish-English borders. They sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. Some called them, less romantically, the "coffin ships." Among the early settlers bearing the Blackman surname who came to North America were:
Blackman Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Nicholas Blackman, who landed in Virginia in 1620
- Nicholas Blackman who settled in Virginia in 1624
- Humfrey Blackman, aged 16, arrived in Virginia in 1635
- Elizabeth Blackman settled in Virginia in 1638
- Humphry Blackman, who landed in Virginia in 1638
Blackman Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Robert Blackman settled in Maryland in 1725
Blackman Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Frederick Blackman, aged 44, landed in New York, NY in 1854
- Peter Blackman, aged 21, landed in New York, NY in 1876
- Ephraim Blackman, who arrived in Arkansas in 1895
- Joan Blackman (b. 1938), American actress
- Rolando Antonio Blackman (b. 1959), Panamanian-born, American basketball player, four-time, NBA All-Star
- Bob Blackman (1918-2000), American football player and coach
- Cindy Blackman (b. 1959), American jazz and rock drummer, wife of rock guitarist Carlos Santana
- Jeremy Blackman (b. 1985), American actor
- Ken Blackman (b. 1972), American professional football player
- Margaret B. Blackman (b. 1944), American anthropologist
- Ralph Beebe Blackman (1904-1990), American mathematician and engineer
- Stacy Blackman (b. 1971), American educational consultant
- Steve Blackman (b. 1963), American professional wrestler
- The Blackmans of Knight's Creek: Ancestors and Descendants of George and Maria (Smith) Blackman by Henry James Young.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Blackman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Blackman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 February 2014 at 09:38.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!