100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Biddle family come from? What is the English Biddle family crest and coat of arms? When did the Biddle family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Biddle family history?The history of the name Biddle begins with the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. It is derived from the Old English personal name Bita.
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Biddle has been recorded under many different variations, including Biddle, Biddell, Biddelle and others.
First found in Staffordshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times, long before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Biddle research. Another 313 words(22 lines of text) covering the years 1400, 1615, 1652, 1615, 1662, 1750, 1778, 1738, 1779, 1774, 1775, 1786, 1844, 1745 and 1821 are included under the topic Early Biddle History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 163 words(12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Biddle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Biddle or a variant listed above:
Biddle Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- William Biddle settled in west New Jersey in 1664
- William Biddle, who landed in New Jersey in 1678
- William Biddle settled in Barbados in 1680 with wife and two children and servants
Biddle Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Daniel Biddle, who landed in America in 1803
- James Biddle, aged 38, arrived in Virginia in 1813
- T B Biddle, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Robert Biddle, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Nicholas Biddle (1786-1844), American author, financier, and lawyer, who served as secretary to President James Monroe (1806–07)
- James Biddle (1783-1848), American naval officer, who became commodore of U.S. ships in East Asia
- George Biddle, American painter and writer
- Francis Beverley Biddle, United States Attorney General (1941–45), born in Paris, France, of American parents
- Private First Class Melvin E Biddle, American soldier awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1944
- John Biddle (1615-1662), English preacher
- The Biddle Family by Alexander Du Bin.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
The Biddle Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Biddle Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 October 2013 at 14:15.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!