BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the French Betancourt family come from? What is the French Betancourt family crest and coat of arms? When did the Betancourt family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Betancourt family history?The Betancourt surname is a habitational name, taken on from any of various places in France. These place names in turn derive from a Germanic personal name Betto, along with the Old French word "court," meaning a "yard," or a farmyard.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bettencourt, Betencourt, Betancourt, Bettancourt, Bethencourt and many more.
First found in Artois, a former province of northern France where this illustrious family held a family seat with lands and manor for many centuries. The family were well established in the region of Arras and several members of the family distinguished themselves through their contributions toward the community in which they lived and were rewarded with lands, titles and letters patent confirming their nobility. Robert, surname of Faissens, the Seigneur of Bethune of Artois held in the year 1000 and held the Counts of Artois.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Betancourt research. Another 155 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 1620 and 1700 are included under the topic Early Betancourt History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 37 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Betancourt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Betancourt Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Alfredo Betancourt, aged 21, who landed in America, in 1892
- Alfredo Betancourt, aged 23, who settled in America, in 1894
- Dolores Betancourt, aged 11, who emigrated to America, in 1894
- C. Betancourt, aged 43, who emigrated to the United States, in 1896
- Delores Betancourt, who landed in America, in 1897
Betancourt Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Andres Betancourt, aged 45, who landed in America, in 1904
- Aristidis Betancourt, aged 45, who settled in America, in 1905
- Alejandro Betancourt, aged 20, who emigrated to America from Havana, Cuba, in 1908
- Alfred Betancourt, aged 35, who emigrated to the United States, in 1911
- Henry Betancourt, aged 42, who landed in America, in 1912
- Carlos Betancourt (b. 1966), American artist
- John Gregory Betancourt (b. 1963), American science fiction writer
- Felipe Pablo Andreas "Phillip" Betancourt (b. 1936), American archaeologist, author, and a specialist in the Aegean Bronze Age
- Manuel Medina Betancourt, Uruguayan writer
- Agustín de Betancourt (1758-1824), Spanish structural engineer, educator, and urban planner
- Antonio Esparragoza Betancourt (b. 1959), Venezuelan Olympic boxer
- María Betancourt (b. 1947), Cuban discus thrower
- Rafael Jose Betancourt (b. 1975), Venezuelan Major League Baseball right-handed relief pitcher who played in 2003 for the Cleveland Indians
- Porfirio Armando Betancourt Cortez, retired Honduran footballer
- José Betancourt (b. 1963), Puerto Rican wrestler at the 1984, 1992 and the 1996 Summer Olympics
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Vaillancourt, Emile. La Conquete du Canada par les Normands. Biographie de la premiere generation Normande du Canada. Montreal: G. Ducharme, 1930. Print.
- Conrad, Glenn R. The First Families of Louisiana. Baton Rouge LA: Claitor's Publishing, 1970. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Betancourt Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Betancourt Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 July 2014 at 07:27.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is