BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Dutch-Alt, Dutch, German, Jewish, Swedish
Where did the Dutch Berg family come from? What is the Dutch Berg family crest and coat of arms? When did the Berg family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Berg family history?The surname Berg comes from the Old High German word "berg," which means "mountain." The first bearers of the name no doubt came from a mountain or high ground. The name is often found with the preposition "Van den," which mean "from the." In a low-lying, flat country like the Netherlands any area of higher ground was quite prestigious and as such, this was a popular and prestigious surname.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Berger, Bergen, Berg, Van Berg, Van Berger, Van Bergen, Van den Berger, Van den Berg, Van der Berg, Van den Bergh and many more.
First found in Holland, where it is thought to have existed since the 15th century.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Berg research. Another 214 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1664, 1709, 1748, 1755, 1799, and 1873 are included under the topic Early Berg History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 60 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Berg Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Berg Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Andreas Christ Berg, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1709
- Johan Henrig Berg, who landed in New York in 1709
- Kasper Berg, who landed in New York in 1709
- Frederick Berg, who arrived in America in 1709
- Tiel Berg, who landed in New York in 1709
Berg Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Joh Berg, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1802
- Fr Berg, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1802
- Wilh Berg, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1807
- Balthazar Berg, who landed in Maryland in 1834
- Belthassar Berg, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1838
Berg Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Friedrich Berg, aged 50, arrived in New York, NY in 1901
- Christina Berg, aged 15, landed in America in 1901
- Adam Berg, aged 8, arrived in New York, NY in 1901
- Karolina Berg, aged 9, landed in New York, NY in 1901
- Katherina Berg, aged 20, arrived in America in 1901
- Laura Berg, American softball player
- Paul Berg (b. 1926), American molecular biologist
- Elizabeth Berg (b. 1986), American singer with The Like, daughter of Tony Berg
- Shelly Berg (b. 1955), American jazz pianist and educator
- Tony Berg (b. 1954), American guitarist, father of Elizabeth Berg
- Morris "Moe" Berg (1902-1972), American catcher and coach in Major League Baseball and recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Adje "Adrian" van den Berg (b. 1954), Dutch rock guitarist
- Alban Berg (1885-1935), Austrian composer, born in Vienna, who studied under Arnold Schoenberg
- Andrea Berg (b. 1981), German volleyball player
- Henning Berg (b. 1969), Norwegian football player
- The Hans Hanson Berg Family History by Nancy Stout Larson.
- A Line of Descendants and Ancestors of Josiah Burge (including the Berg Family) a Revolutionary Patriot by Joan A. Hoelaars.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Grattan, Thomas Colley. Holdan The History of the Netherlands. Charleston, SC: Biblio Bazaar LLC, 2007. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Jameson, John Franklin. Narratives of New Netherland 1609-1664. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1909. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
The Berg Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Berg Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 January 2014 at 04:17.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is