100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Origins Available: Dutch, English, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Bennet family come from? What is the Scottish Bennet family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bennet family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bennet family history?The ancestors of the Bennet family lived among the Strathclyde people of the Scottish/English Borderlands. Their name is derived from the ancient Latin given name Benedictus, which means blessed.
The variation in the spelling of Medieval names is a result of the lack of spelling rules in the English language prior to the last few hundred years. Before that time, scribes spelled according to sound, often varying the spelling of name within a single document. Bennet has appeared as Bennett, Bennet, Benett, Benet and others.
First found in Lancashire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bennet research. Another 206 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1066, 1200, 1300, 1594, 1603, 1652, 1743, 1793, 1795, 1797, 1822, 1836, 1872, 1883, and 1899 are included under the topic Early Bennet History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 81 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bennet Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Bennet family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 330 words(24 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
As the persecution of Clan families continued, they sailed for North America in increasing numbers. In most cases, they found the freedom and opportunity they sought. Land was often available and the American War of Independence allowed Scots an opportunity to solidify their independence from the English crown. These settlers and their ancestors went on to play essential roles in the forging of the nations of the United States and Canada. Among them:
Bennet Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Bartholomew Bennet, aged 18, arrived in Barbados in 1635
- Jane Bennet, aged 16, arrived in America in 1635
- Jo Bennet, aged 18, landed in Virginia in 1635
- Matthew Bennet, aged 18, landed in Virginia in 1635
- Samvei Bennet, aged 24, landed in New England in 1635
Bennet Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Thos Bennet, who arrived in Virginia in 1713
- William Bennet, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1799
Bennet Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Patrick Bennet, who landed in New York, NY in 1811
- John M Bennet, aged 47, arrived in New York in 1812
- Alexander Bennet, aged 52, arrived in New York in 1812
- Reuben Bennet, who arrived in New York in 1824
- John P Bennet, aged 32, landed in Key West, Ha in 1842
- William Stiles Bennet (1870-1962), U.S. Representative from New York
- Meg Bennet (b. 1950), American screenwriter and actress
- Hiram Pitt Bennet (1826-1914), American Delegate from the Territory of Colorado
- Michael Farrand Bennet (b. 1964), American businessman, lawyer, and politician
- Spencer Gordon Bennet (1893-1987), American film producer and director
- Thomas Bennet, Oxford academic and administrator
- George Bennet (1913-1970), Welsh rugby union and professional rugby league footballer
- Henry Grey Bennet (1777-1836), English politician
- Abraham Bennet FRS (1749-1799), English clergyman and physicist, inventor of the gold-leaf electroscope
- William Bennet, English 18th century civil engineer
- A Chart of Some of the Ancestors of Benjamin Holmes West, 1861-1919; and His Wife Josepheine Bennet, 1857-1921; and a Genealogy of Their Descendants by William J. Harrison.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bain, Robert. The Clans and Tartans of Scotland. Glasgow & London: Collins, 1968. Print. (ISBN 000411117-6).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Prebble, John. The Highland Clearances. London: Secker & Warburg, 1963. Print.
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Catholic Directory For Scotland. Glasgow: Burns Publications. Print.
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
The Bennet Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bennet Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 October 2012 at 20:19.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!