BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the German Behr family come from? What is the German Behr family crest and coat of arms? When did the Behr family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Behr family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Behr, Bahr (northern Germany), Barr, Bar, Barre, Baer and many more.
First found in Lower Saxony, where the name was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power. The name derives itself from the German word for bear ("der Baer").
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Behr research. Another 286 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1703, 1792, 1798, 1872, and 1876 are included under the topic Early Behr History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 44 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Behr Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Behr Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Samuel Behr landed in Philadelphia in 1727
- Jacob Behr came to Philadelphia in 1749
- Johann Jac Behr, who arrived in America in 1749
- Jacob Behr, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1750
- Simon Behr, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1754
Behr Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- G Behr, who arrived in North America in 1832
- Daniel Behr, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1835
- Julie Behr, who landed in Texas in 1846
- Julie Behr arrived in Texas in 1846
- Frederich Behr, aged 26, arrived in Missouri in 1847
- Jason Behr (b. 1973), American actor
- Mr. Karl Howell Behr, aged 26, American First Class passenger from New York City, New York who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking escaping in life boat 5
- Bernd Behr (b. 1976), German artist
- Franz Behr (1837-1898), German composer
- William Joseph Behr (1775-1851), German writer
- Dani Behr (b. 1971), British television presenter and singer
- Noam Behr (b. 1975), Israeli tennis player
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
The Behr Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Behr Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 February 2014 at 13:59.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is