100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Beals family come from? What is the English Beals family crest and coat of arms? When did the Beals family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Beals family history?The Beals surname is thought to have been created from one of the places so named (in Northumberland, and in West Yorkshire). The place name derives from the Old English "beo," meaning "bee" and "hyll," meaning "hill." There is also a Norman name Beals derived from the Old French "bel."
The name Beals, appeared in many references, and from time to time, the surname was spelt Beal, Beale, Beall, Bealle, Beel, Beele, Beales, Bealer and many more.
First found in Northumberland. Today Beeley is a village and civil parish in the Derbyshire Dales district of northern Derbyshire, near Bakewell. In the Domesday Book, the place name was listed as Begelie 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Beals research. Another 121 words(9 lines of text) covering the years 1203, 1608, 1683, 1621, 1684, 1660, 1664, 1665, 1632, 1699 and 1674 are included under the topic Early Beals History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 129 words(9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Beals Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
The New World beckoned as many of the settlers in Ireland, known as the Scotch/Irish, became disenchanted. They sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. Some called them, less romantically, the "coffin ships." Amongst the early settlers who could be considered kinsmen of the Beals family, or who bore a variation of the surname Beals were
Beals Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- John Beals, who landed in Hingham, Massachusetts in 1638
Beals Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- George Beals, who landed in New York in 1822
- H H Beals, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1849
- H C Beals, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- S H Beals, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Beals, aged 20, who settled in America, in 1892
Beals Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Eugene Beals, who settled in America, in 1906
- Edward M. Beals, who landed in America, in 1907
- Helen Beals, who landed in America, in 1907
- Clyde Olden Beals, aged 11, who emigrated to America, in 1908
- Darwin Beals, aged 20, who landed in America, in 1909
- Jennifer Beals (b. 1963), American film actress, best known for her portrayal in Flashdance
- Alyn Beals (b. 1921), American football player
- Dick Beals (b. 1927), American voice actor
- Carlyle Smith Beals (1899-1979), Canadian astronomer, recipient of the Officer of the Order of Canada, eponym of the lunar crater Beals
- Gary Beals (b. 1982), Canadian singer
- The Quaker Yeomen by James E. Ballarts.
- Memoranda of the Early Settlement of Friends in the North-West Territory, and Especially of Thomas Beals by Gershom Perdue.
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
The Beals Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Beals Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 August 2013 at 15:13.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!