100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the Irish Bannon family come from? What is the Irish Bannon family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bannon family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bannon family history?The Bannon name is derived from the Gaelic ó Banàin, though there has been much confusion about this name involving the Irish Gaelic word bàn, which means "white."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Banain, O'Bannon, Banim, O'Bannaghan, Bannaghan, O'Banan and many more.
First found in the barony of Clonisk, in the southern tip of County Offaly (Irish: Uíbh Fháilí) originally the Kingdom of Uí Failghe, located in central Ireland in the Province of Leinster, where a Medieval Sept of this name was found.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bannon research. Another 457 words(33 lines of text) covering the years 1152, 1172, 1316, 1319, 1585, 1659, 1796, 1798, 1842, and 1865 are included under the topic Early Bannon History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 32 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bannon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bannon Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Owen Bannon, who was a forced emigrant, arriving in America in 1737
Bannon Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Michl Bannon, aged 23, landed in New York, NY in 1803
- Ann Bannon, who arrived at the port of New York in 1805
- Patk Bannon, who landed in America in 1805
- Ann Bannon, who landed in America in 1805
- Peter Bannon, who arrived in New York, NY in 1815
- Jack Bannon (b. 1940), American actor
- Bruce Bannon (b. 1951), American professional NFL football player
- Chad Bannon (b. 1970), American television and film actor
- Jim Bannon (1911-1984), American radio and film actor
- James Bannon (b. 1959), Irish politician, farmer, and auctioneer
- Brian Bannon, Australian politician from New South Wales
- Eamonn Bannon (b. 1958), Scottish footballer
- Gary Bannon, British actor, poet, and comedian
- John Bannon (b. 1943), Australian politician and academic
- Mr. John Joseph Bannon (d. 1912), aged 32, English Greaser from Southampton, Hampshire who worked aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
The Bannon Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bannon Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 August 2012 at 08:53.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!