100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the Irish Bannon family come from? What is the Irish Bannon family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bannon family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bannon family history?The Bannon name is derived from the Gaelic ó Banàin, though there has been much confusion about this name involving the Irish Gaelic word bàn, which means "white."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Banain, O'Bannon, Banim, O'Bannaghan, Bannaghan, O'Banan and many more.
First found in the barony of Clonisk, in the southern tip of County Offaly (Irish: Uíbh Fháilí) originally the Kingdom of Uí Failghe, located in central Ireland in the Province of Leinster, where a Medieval Sept of this name was found.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bannon research. Another 457 words(33 lines of text) covering the years 1152, 1172, 1316, 1319, 1585, 1659, 1796, 1798, 1842, and 1865 are included under the topic Early Bannon History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 32 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bannon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bannon Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Owen Bannon, who was a forced emigrant, arriving in America in 1737
Bannon Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Michl Bannon, aged 23, landed in New York, NY in 1803
- Ann Bannon, who arrived at the port of New York in 1805
- Patk Bannon, who landed in America in 1805
- Ann Bannon, who landed in America in 1805
- Peter Bannon, who arrived in New York, NY in 1815
- Jack Bannon (b. 1940), American actor
- Bruce Bannon (b. 1951), American professional NFL football player
- Chad Bannon (b. 1970), American television and film actor
- Jim Bannon (1911-1984), American radio and film actor
- James Bannon (b. 1959), Irish politician, farmer, and auctioneer
- Brian Bannon, Australian politician from New South Wales
- Eamonn Bannon (b. 1958), Scottish footballer
- Gary Bannon, British actor, poet, and comedian
- John Bannon (b. 1943), Australian politician and academic
- Mr. John Joseph Bannon (d. 1912), aged 32, English Greaser from Southampton, Hampshire who worked aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
- Grehan, Ida. Dictionary of Irish Family Names. Boulder: Roberts Rinehart, 1997. Print. (ISBN 1-57098-137-X).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Tepper, Michael Ed & Elizabeth P. Bentley Transcriber. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Philadelphia 1800-1819. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1986. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7).
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
The Bannon Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bannon Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 August 2012 at 08:53.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!