100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Spanish Ballesteros family come from? What is the Spanish Ballesteros family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ballesteros family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ballesteros family history?The distinguished surname Ballesteros is of Spanish descent, and is believed to be of occupational origin as it is derived from the occupation or trade of the original bearer of the name. The surname derives from the Spanish word "ballestero," or "crossbowman," from the term "ballesta," meaning "crossbow." The surname Ballesteros thus means "son or descendant of the crossbowman."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ballestero, Ballesteros, Ballesta, Ballesté and many more.
First found in the northeastern region of the Iberian peninsula. The earliest references to the Spanish surname Ballesteros date back to the thirteenth century, when one Ramon Ballester was lord of the castle of Alaro in 1285, at the time of the conquest of Mallorca by King Alfonso of Aragon.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ballesteros research. Another 137 words(10 lines of text) covering the years 1387, 1370, 1333 and 1405 are included under the topic Early Ballesteros History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 129 words(9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ballesteros Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ballesteros Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Leonor De Ballesteros, who arrived in Espanola in 1811
- Juan Or Ballesteros, who arrived in America in 1812
- Juan De Ballesteros, who landed in America in 1817
- Gonzalo De Ballesteros, who arrived in Dominican Republic in 1834
- Francisco Ballesteros, who landed in America in 1834
- Severiano "Seve" Ballesteros (1957-2011), Spanish golfer, winner of the Masters (1980 and 1983) and the Open Championship (1979, 1984, and 1988), inductee into the World Golf Hall of Fame (1999)
- Sergio Martínez Ballesteros (b. 1975), Spanish footballer
- Ángel Ballesteros (b. 1940), Spanish poet and historian
- Francisco Ballesteros (1770-1832), Spanish General during the Peninsular War
- Javier "Javi" Ballesteros (b. 1986), Spanish footballer
- María Ballesteros (b. 1924), Filipina actress during the 1940s and early 1950s
- Ernesto "Estong" Ballesteros (b. 1973), former Filipino professional basketball player
- Roberto Alcântara Ballesteros (b. 1977), Brazilian footballer
- Chasty Ballesteros, Canadian actress
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Ballesteros Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ballesteros Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 June 2014 at 09:10.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!