100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Spanish Ballesteros family come from? What is the Spanish Ballesteros family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ballesteros family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ballesteros family history?The distinguished surname Ballesteros is of Spanish descent, and is believed to be of occupational origin as it is derived from the occupation or trade of the original bearer of the name. The surname derives from the Spanish word "ballestero," or "crossbowman," from the term "ballesta," meaning "crossbow." The surname Ballesteros thus means "son or descendant of the crossbowman."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ballestero, Ballesteros, Ballesta, Ballesté and many more.
First found in the northeastern region of the Iberian peninsula. The earliest references to the Spanish surname Ballesteros date back to the thirteenth century, when one Ramon Ballester was lord of the castle of Alaro in 1285, at the time of the conquest of Mallorca by King Alfonso of Aragon.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ballesteros research. Another 137 words(10 lines of text) covering the years 1387, 1370, 1333 and 1405 are included under the topic Early Ballesteros History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 129 words(9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ballesteros Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ballesteros Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Leonor De Ballesteros, who arrived in Espanola in 1811
- Juan Or Ballesteros, who arrived in America in 1812
- Juan De Ballesteros, who landed in America in 1817
- Gonzalo De Ballesteros, who arrived in Dominican Republic in 1834
- Francisco Ballesteros, who landed in America in 1834
- Severiano "Seve" Ballesteros (1957-2011), Spanish golfer, winner of the Masters (1980 and 1983) and the Open Championship (1979, 1984, and 1988), inductee into the World Golf Hall of Fame (1999)
- Sergio Martínez Ballesteros (b. 1975), Spanish footballer
- Ángel Ballesteros (b. 1940), Spanish poet and historian
- Francisco Ballesteros (1770-1832), Spanish General during the Peninsular War
- Javier "Javi" Ballesteros (b. 1986), Spanish footballer
- María Ballesteros (b. 1924), Filipina actress during the 1940s and early 1950s
- Ernesto "Estong" Ballesteros (b. 1973), former Filipino professional basketball player
- Roberto Alcântara Ballesteros (b. 1977), Brazilian footballer
- Chasty Ballesteros, Canadian actress
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
The Ballesteros Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ballesteros Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 June 2014 at 09:10.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!