BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Scottish
Where did the English Arnott family come from? What is the English Arnott family crest and coat of arms? When did the Arnott family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Arnott family history?
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Arnott have been found, including Harnett, Harnott, Arnold, Ernold, Arnot, Arnott, Aernold and many more.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat for many centuries and were recorded in the Domesday Book,  a census taken by King William, Duke of Normandy in 1086 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Arnott research. Another 182 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1212, 1273, and 1296 are included under the topic Early Arnott History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Arnott Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Arnott family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 38 words(3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Arnott, or a variant listed above:
Arnott Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- David Arnott, aged 20, who settled in Virginia in 1716
- Philip Arnott, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1749
- David Arnott, aged 20, arrived in Georgia in 1775
- John Arnott, who landed in America in 1795
- John Arnott, who settled in Virginia in 1795
Arnott Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Aleses Arnott, who arrived in Arkansas in 1885
- Alexander Arnott, who landed in Arkansas in 1885
- Robert D. Arnott (b. 1954), American entrepreneur, investor, editor, and writer
- Andy Arnott (b. 1973), English former professional footballer
- John Arnott (b. 1932), English former professional footballer
- Kevin Arnott (b. 1898), English footballer
- Archibald Arnott (1772-1855), British Army surgeon, best remembered as Napoleon's doctor on St. Helena
- Caroline Arnott (d. 1933), Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire
- Drew Arnott, Canadian musician
- Jake Arnott (b. 1961), British novelist
- James Fullarton Arnott (1914-1982), Scottish theatre professor
- Janet Arnott, Canadian curler
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
The Arnott Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Arnott Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 August 2014 at 07:33.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is