BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Spanish Apodaca family come from? What is the Spanish Apodaca family crest and coat of arms? When did the Apodaca family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Apodaca family history?The surname Apodaca is derived from a place name located in the judicial district of Vitoria, province of Alava, the southernmost of the three Basque Country provincias of northern Spain. The place-name in turn, is said to derive from the Basque word "apo" meaning "bilberry tree" and the locative suffix "-aka" meaning "place of," or "pasture land."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Apodaca, de Apodaca, Apodace, Apodacas and others.
First found in the province of Alava, Basque country. They moved early on to Ziriano and Zigoita, in Alava, and to Ugarte, Arratia and Bilbao, in Vizcaya province.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Apodaca research. Another 290 words(21 lines of text) covering the years 1628 and 1769 are included under the topic Early Apodaca History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 61 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Apodaca Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Apodaca Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Antonia Apodaca, aged 53, who landed in America, in 1893
Apodaca Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Saturnina Apodaca, aged 23, who settled in America from Barcena, Spain, in 1915
- Maria Apodaca, aged 25, who landed in America from Havana, Cuba, in 1922
- Aurora Apodaca, aged 62, who emigrated to the United States from Havana, Cuba, in 1924
- Robert John Apodaca (b. 1950), American Major League Baseball player
- Raymond S Apodaca (b. 1934), American politician, Governor of New Mexico (1975-79), eponym of Apodaca, Nuevo León, Mexico, in the Greater Monterrey metropolitan area
- Tom Apodaca, Republican member of the North Carolina General Assembly
- Juan José Ruiz de Apodaca (1754-1835), 1st Count of Venadito, a Spanish Basque naval officer and viceroy of New Spain from 1816 to 1821, during Mexico's War of Independence
- Rick Apodaca (b. 1980), Puerto Rican professional basketball player
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
The Apodaca Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Apodaca Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 31 July 2014 at 10:24.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is