BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Spanish Apodaca family come from? What is the Spanish Apodaca family crest and coat of arms? When did the Apodaca family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Apodaca family history?The surname Apodaca is derived from a place name located in the judicial district of Vitoria, province of Alava, the southernmost of the three Basque Country provincias of northern Spain. The place-name in turn, is said to derive from the Basque word "apo" meaning "bilberry tree" and the locative suffix "-aka" meaning "place of," or "pasture land."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Apodaca, de Apodaca, Apodace, Apodacas and others.
First found in the province of Alava, Basque country. They moved early on to Ziriano and Zigoita, in Alava, and to Ugarte, Arratia and Bilbao, in Vizcaya province.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Apodaca research. Another 290 words(21 lines of text) covering the years 1628 and 1769 are included under the topic Early Apodaca History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 61 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Apodaca Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Apodaca Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Antonia Apodaca, aged 53, who landed in America, in 1893
Apodaca Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Saturnina Apodaca, aged 23, who settled in America from Barcena, Spain, in 1915
- Maria Apodaca, aged 25, who landed in America from Havana, Cuba, in 1922
- Aurora Apodaca, aged 62, who emigrated to the United States from Havana, Cuba, in 1924
- Robert John Apodaca (b. 1950), American Major League Baseball player
- Raymond S Apodaca (b. 1934), American politician, Governor of New Mexico (1975-79), eponym of Apodaca, Nuevo León, Mexico, in the Greater Monterrey metropolitan area
- Tom Apodaca, Republican member of the North Carolina General Assembly
- Juan José Ruiz de Apodaca (1754-1835), 1st Count of Venadito, a Spanish Basque naval officer and viceroy of New Spain from 1816 to 1821, during Mexico's War of Independence
- Rick Apodaca (b. 1980), Puerto Rican professional basketball player
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The Apodaca Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Apodaca Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 September 2014 at 15:44.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is