BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Austrian, English, Italian
Where did the English Anthony family come from? What is the English Anthony family crest and coat of arms? When did the Anthony family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Anthony family history?The name Anthony was brought to England by the Normans when they conquered the country in 1066. It comes from the Latin family name Antonius, which is of unknown etymology.
Before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Sound was what guided spelling in the Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Anthony family name include Anthony, Antony, Antonie, McAnthony, Anton (Scot), Anthoney, Enthony and many more.
First found in Lincolnshire, where they held a family seat in the Middle Ages.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Anthony research. Another 161 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1273, 1607, 1568, 1585, 1655 and 1613 are included under the topic Early Anthony History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 91 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Anthony Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Anthony family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 89 words(6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
To escape the political and religious chaos of this era, thousands of English families began to migrate to the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. The passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe; however, those who made the voyage safely were encountered opportunities that were not available to them in their homeland. Many of the families that reached the New World at this time went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations of the United States and Canada. Research into various historical records has revealed some of first members of the Anthony family to immigrate North America:
Anthony Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Andrew Anthony who settled in Virginia in 1637
- Andrew Anthony, who landed in Virginia in 1637
- Tho Anthony, who arrived in Virginia in 1652
- Thomas Anthony, who landed in Virginia in 1652
- Jane Anthony, who arrived in Maryland in 1661
Anthony Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Mark Anthony, who landed in Virginia in 1700
- Johannes Anthony, aged 32, landed in Pennsylvania in 1741
- Paul Anthony, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1741
- Johannes Anthony, age 32, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1741
- Nicholas Anthony, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1750
Anthony Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- William Anthony, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1811
- F J Anthony, who landed in Texas in 1836
- Angello Anthony, who arrived in Mobile County, Ala in 1840
- George Anthony, who arrived in Mississippi in 1844
- Samuel Anthony, who landed in New York in 1847
- Charles Anthony (b. 1929), American tenor with the distinction of appearing in more performances at the Metropolitan Opera than any other performer
- Earl Roderick Anthony (1938-2001), American professional bowler who amassed records of 41 titles and six bowler of the year awards on the Professional Bowlers Association (PBA) Tour
- Marc Anthony (b. 1969), award-winning American musician, singer-songwriter, actor and producer
- Jasmine Jessica Anthony (b. 1996), American teen actress
- Ray Anthony (b. 1922), American bandleader, trumpeter, songwriter and actor
- Piers Anthony (b. 1934), American writer in the science fiction and fantasy genres
- Susan B. Anthony (1820-1906), American civil rights leader who played a pivotal role in the 19th century women's rights movement
- Lysette Anthony (b. 1963), English film, television, and theatre actress
- Henry Anthony (b. 1935), German politician in Berlin
- Julie Moncrief Anthony OBE, AM (b. 1949), Australian entertainer voted by her peers as "Entertainer of the Year" 3 times and "Best Female vocalist" 11 times
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Anthony Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Anthony Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 August 2013 at 11:51.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is