BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the German Alt family come from? What is the German Alt family crest and coat of arms? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Alt family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Alt, Alte, Altte, Altt, Allte, Ault, Aulte, Aultt and many more.
First found in Basel, where the name became noted for its many branches with the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the family became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Alt research. Another 237 words(17 lines of text) covering the years 1616 and 1782 are included under the topic Early Alt History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 26 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Alt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Alt Settlers in the 17th Century
- Martha Alt settled in Barbados with her servants in 1679
Alt Settlers in the 18th Century
- Johanes Alt, age 40 arrived in Philadelphia in 1738
- Johanes Alt, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1738
- Michael Alt, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1751
- Matheus Alt, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1754
- Matheas Alt landed in Philadelphia in 1754
Alt Settlers in the 19th Century
- Jacob Alt, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- Margar Alt, aged 65, arrived in America in 1851
- Margareta Alt, who landed in America in 1851
- Maria Alt, aged 25, arrived in New York in 1854
- Johann Alt, aged 19, arrived in New York in 1854
Alt Settlers in the 20th Century
- Fred Wilhelm Alt, who landed in Alabama in 1926
- Guillermo Alt, who landed in Alabama in 1926
- Donald Robert Alt (b. 1929), prominent New York City advertiser and executive
- Carol Alt (b. 1960), American model and actress
- Rudolf Ritter von Alt (1812-1905), Austrian landscape and architectural painter
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
The Alt Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Alt Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 August 2013 at 00:59.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is