100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the Spanish Afonso family come from? What is the Spanish Afonso family crest and coat of arms? When did the Afonso family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Afonso family history?The mountainous borders of Spain contain the origins of the prestigious surname Afonso. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and the most common patronymic suffix is ez. The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins. Some names are derived from the saints of the Christian Church, but many Spanish surnames are derived from personal names of Germanic origin.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Alonso, Alfonso, Alefonso, Alifonso, Adefonso, Aldefonso, Adefonso, Afonso and many more.
First found in Leon, where the name originated in Visigothic times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Afonso research. Another 422 words(30 lines of text) covering the years 1155, 1352, and 1519 are included under the topic Early Afonso History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 79 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Afonso Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Afonso Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Benigno Afonso, aged 25, who settled in America from das Chans, Spain, in 1916
- Francisco Afonso, aged 20, who landed in America from Corgas Croas, Portugal, in 1920
- Joao Dias Afonso, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States from Vagos, Portugal, in 1920
- Jose Torres Afonso, aged 18, who emigrated to the United States from Funchal, Madeira, in 1920
- Julio Afonso, aged 16, who landed in America from Estarreja, Portugal, in 1920
- Alex Afonso (b. 1981), Brazilian football forward
- Guilherme Afonso (b. 1985), professional footballer from Angola
- Nadir Afonso (b. 1920), Portuguese geometric abstractionist painter
- Yves Afonso (b. 1944), French actor
- Ivo Rafael Brandão Afonso (b. 1975), Portuguese professional footballer
- Nuno Miguel Figueiredo Afonso (b. 1974), Portuguese retired footballer
- Luís Afonso, Brazilian clarinetist and bass clarinetist
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-209).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Afonso Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Afonso Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 June 2012 at 16:20.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!