BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Affleck family come from? What is the Scottish Affleck family crest and coat of arms? When did the Affleck family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Affleck family history?An ancient Strathclyde-Briton family from the Scottish/English Borderlands were the first to use the name Affleck. They lived in the barony of Auchinleck in Ayrshire or from Affleck in Angus.
Before the printing press standardized spelling in the last few hundred years, no general rules existed in the English language. Spelling variations in Scottish names from the Middle Ages are common even within a single document. Affleck has been spelled Affleck, Athlyk, Athinkel, Auchlek, Athlek, Achleck, Achinfleck, Afleck, Authinlek and many more.
First found in Ayrshire and Angus where they held a family seat from early times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Affleck research. Another 251 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1292, 1296, 1311, and 1464 are included under the topic Early Affleck History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Affleck Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
For Scottish immigrants, the great expense of travel to North America did not seem such a problem in those unstable times. Acres of land awaited them and many got the chance to fight for their freedom in the American War of Independence. These Scots and their ancestors went on to play important roles in the forging of the great nations of the United States and Canada. Among them:
Affleck Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Andrew Affleck who settled in Barbados in 1678
Affleck Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Affleck settled in Frederick County, Maryland in 1787
Affleck Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Affleck, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1832
- George, John, and Joseph Affleck, all settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1872 and 1880
- Ben Affleck (b. 1972), Academy Award-winning American actor, film director, writer, and producer
- Casey Affleck (b. 1975), American actor and film director
- Neil Affleck, American actor, animator and director
- David Roy Affleck (1912-1984), Scottish professional footballer
- George Affleck (b. 1888), Scottish footballer
- Philip Affleck (1726-1799), British admiral
- Sir Edmund Affleck (1725-1788), 1st Baronet, was a British naval officer of considerable repute
- Francis Archibald Affleck (1950-1985), Canadian race car driver
- Robert Bruce Affleck (b. 1954), Canadian retired former professional ice hockey defenceman
- John Affleck (1710-1776), British Tory politician
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
The Affleck Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Affleck Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 December 2013 at 15:50.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is