BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Ackley family come from? What is the English Ackley family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ackley family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ackley family history?The roots of the Anglo-Saxon name Ackley come from when the family resided in a clearing surrounded by oak trees. The surname Ackley literally means oak-meadow. The surname Ackley is associated with the village of Acle in Norfolk, and the village of Akeley in Buckinghamshire.
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Ackley has been recorded under many different variations, including Ackley, Acley, Acle, Ackle, Aclie, Acklie, Acly and others.
First found in Norfolk, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ackley research. Another 479 words(34 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1273, 1500, 1610, and 1769 are included under the topic Early Ackley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Ackley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Ackley or a variant listed above:
Ackley Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Nicholas Ackley sailed to Connecticut in 1655
- Nicholas Ackley, who arrived in Connecticut in 1655
- William Ackley landed in Virginia in 1664
- Wm Ackley, who landed in Virginia in 1664
Ackley Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Mr. Ackley, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Gardner Ackley (1915-1998), American educator and diplomat, Fulbright Scholar, Ford Foundation Fellowship recipient, Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (1968)
- Dustin Michael Ackley (b. 1988), American Major League Baseball second baseman with the Seattle Mariners
- Brian Ackley (b. 1986), American soccer player
- Parker Otto "P.O." Ackley (1903-1989), American gunsmith, author, columnist who developed the Ackley Improved family of wildcat cartridges
- Florian Frederick "Fritz" Ackley (1937-2002), American Major League Baseball pitcher for the Chicago White Sox
- Bentley DeForest Ackley (1872-1958), American musician and gospel composer
- Stephen F. Ackley, American sea sea ice specialist at McMurdo Sound (1976-1977), eponym of Ackley Point, Antarctica
- The Eckler-Ackler-Ackley Family by Ross A. Eckler.
- Dewitt Clinton Ackley, Clarissa Woodworth Ackley: Their Ancestors and Descendants by Buel Clifford Ackley.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
The Ackley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ackley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 April 2014 at 22:53.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is