BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Scottish
Where did the English Wright family come from? What is the English Wright family crest and coat of arms? When did the Wright family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Wright family history?The ancestors of the Wright family lived among an ancient Scottish people called the Boernicians. The name Wright is derived from the Old English "wyrhta," meaning "worker," or, specifically, "woodworker, carpenter, craftsman," and was used to refer to a carpenter. In medieval rolls, the name was often Latinized as Faber.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wright, Right, Write, Wrighte and others.
First found in Berwickshire, where the Wright family held a seat from ancient times. Some of the earliest records include Ralph Wright, burgess of Stirling, and Thomas Wright of Blakenhall in Lanarkshire, who rendered homage to King Edward I of England in 1296 on his brief conquest of Scotland.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wright research. Another 169 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1342, 1590, 1657, 1602, 1658, 1609, 1623, 1637, 1664, 1660, 1664, 1615, 1683, 1670, 1685, 1634, 1689, 1687, 1689, 1611, 1690, 1675, 1682, 1654, 1721 and are included under the topic Early Wright History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 295 words(21 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wright Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Wright family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 169 words(12 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wright Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Robert Wright, who settled in Virginia in 1623 with his wife
- Horten Wright, who arrived in Virginia in 1624-1625
- Richard Wright and his wife Margaret, who arrived in Salem, Massachusetts in 1630 with their daughter
- Alice Wright, aged 21, landed in Virginia in 1635
- Henry Wright, who arrived in Dorchester, Massachusetts in 1635
Wright Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Dionisius Wright, who arrived in Virginia in 1701
- George Wright, who arrived in Leeward Islands in 1705
- John Wright, who immigrated Georgia in 1732
- Archibald Wright, who arrived in Georgia in 1744
- Andrew Wright, aged 20, arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1774
Wright Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Benjamin Wright, who landed in America in 1806
- Catherine Wright, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- Hanse Wright, aged 40, landed in Tennessee in 1812
- Absolom Wright, who landed in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1820
- Daniel Wright, who landed in New York in 1836
- Sewall Wright (1889-1988), American geneticist awarded the Darwin Medal in 1980
- Rayfield Wright (b. 1945), American football player
- Wilbur Wright (1867-1929), American aviation pioneer
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959), prominent and influential American architect
- Orville Wright (1871-1948), American airplane pioneer
- Philip Quincy Wright (1890-1970), American international lawyer
- Richard Wright (1908-1960), American novelist
- Lawrence Wright (b. 1947), American author and screenwriter awarded the 2007 Pulitzer Prize for General Nonfiction
- Doug Wright (b. 1962), American playwright, librettist, and screenwriter awarded the 2004 Pulitzer Prize for Drama
- Franz Wright (b. 1953), Pulitzer Prize-winning (2004) American poet
- Wright's 400 Years-Plus: 13 Generation Family by Larry C. Wright.
- Ancestry of William Henry Wright and Wife Poll Ann Royal and Their Descendants by Watie Delfa Wright Ellis.
- Captain William Upshaw, Gent., Planter of Virginia by Sophie W. Upshaw.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Wright Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Wright Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 August 2014 at 17:38.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is