BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Irish, Scottish
Where did the Irish Weir family come from? What is the Irish Weir family crest and coat of arms? When did the Weir family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Weir family history?The surname Weir is an Anglicization of Mac an Mhaoir.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wyer, Weir, Weyre, Wyre, Wyers and others.
First found in County Westmeath (Irish: An Iarmhí) in the Irish Midlands, province of Leinster.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Weir research. Another 390 words(28 lines of text) covering the years 1656, 1659, 1803, 1852, and 1889 are included under the topic Early Weir History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 22 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Weir Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Weir Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- John Weir settled in New England in 1685
Weir Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Robert and Rachel Weir settled in Charles Town [Charleston], South Carolina in 1763
- Andrew Weir, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1763
- David Weir, who landed in South Carolina in 1772
- John Weir, who landed in South Carolina in 1772
- Thomas Weir, who arrived in South Carolina in 1772
Weir Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Geo Weir, who landed in America in 1805
- James Weir, who arrived in Virginia in 1810
- Joseph Weir, aged 26, arrived in Delaware in 1812
- Arthur Weir, aged 24, landed in Delaware in 1812
- Eliza Weir, who arrived with two children in New York in 1822
- Mary Hayward Weir (1915-1968), American steel heiress and socialite
- Robert Hall "Bob" Weir (b. 1947), American singer, songwriter, and guitarist, founding member of the Grateful Dead
- Amanda Jo Weir (b. 1986), American Olympic silver medalist swimmer
- Julian Alden Weir (1852-1919), American impressionist painter
- Stephnie Carmel Weir (b. 1967), American actress, comedienne, and writer
- Samuel Edwin "Ed" Weir (1903-1991), American collegiate and professional football player
- Colonel John Weir (d. 1912), aged 59, American First Class passenger from New York City, New York who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking
- Robert James "Robbie" Weir (b. 1988), Northern Irish footballer
- Judith Weir CBE (b. 1954), British composer and Professor of Music
- Michael Fraser Weir (b. 1957), Scottish politician
- The Normans, 1720-1976, and Information on the Walker, Clayton and Weir Families Of Mississippi by Maggie Laurie Carson.
- Tims-Weir: The Ancestry of William Robert Tims of Augusta Texas by Janet Weir Scott.
- Weir/Wear Families: From Here & There to the White House by Olga Jones Edwards.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
- MacLysaght, Edward. Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7).
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Kennedy, Patrick. Kennedy's Book of Arms. Canterbury: Achievements, 1967. Print.
The Weir Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Weir Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 May 2014 at 20:37.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is