100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Waldron family come from? What is the English Waldron family crest and coat of arms? When did the Waldron family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Waldron family history?
Until the dictionary, an invention of only the last few hundred years, the English language lacked any comprehensive system of spelling rules. Consequently, spelling variations in names are frequently found in early Anglo-Saxon and later Anglo-Norman documents. One person's name was often spelled several different ways over a lifetime. The recorded variations of Waldron include Waldron, Walrond, Walrand, Waldren, Waldrond and others.
First found in Gloucestershire where they held a family seat at the time of the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Waldron research. Another 191 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1412, 1422, 1640, 1615, 1689, 1683, 1650 and 1730 are included under the topic Early Waldron History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 117 words(8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Waldron Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Waldron family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 31 words(2 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Thousands of English families boarded ships sailing to the New World in the hope of escaping the unrest found in England at this time. Although the search for opportunity and freedom from persecution abroad took the lives of many because of the cramped conditions and unsanitary nature of the vessels, the opportunity perceived in the growing colonies of North America beckoned. Many of the settlers who survived the journey went on to make important contributions to the transplanted cultures of their adopted countries. The Waldron were among these contributors, for they have been located in early North American records:
Waldron Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Alexander Waldron, who came to New Hampshire in 1630
- Isaac, William and Richard Waldron, who settled in Rhode Island in 1630
- Edward Waldron, who arrived in Boston in 1630
- Richard Waldron, who landed in New England in 1635
- William Waldron, who landed in New England in 1640
Waldron Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Elizabeth Waldron, a bonded passenger, who came to America in 1736
- Edward Waldron, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1740
Waldron Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Waldron, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1816
- Benjamin Waldron, aged 31, arrived in New York in 1828
- Michael B Waldron, who landed in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1840
- Patrick Waldron, who arrived in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1851
- A Waldron, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Alfred Marpole Waldron (1865-1952), American politician, member of the United States House of Representatives for Pennsylvania
- Charles D Waldron (1874-1946), American actor
- John Charles Waldron (1900-1942), United States Navy aviator, eponym of the USS Waldron (DD-699)
- Malcolm Earl Waldron (1926-2002), American jazz pianist
- Henry Waldron (1819-1880), American politician, U.S. congressman from Michigan
- Colin Waldron (b. 1946), English footballer
- Caroline Waldron (b. 1970), English actress
- Sir John Lovegrove Waldron (1909-1975), British police officer, knighted in 1966
- Jeremy Waldron (b. 1953), New Zealand, professor of law and philosophy
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
The Waldron Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Waldron Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 June 2014 at 08:45.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!