100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Waddell family come from? What is the Scottish Waddell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Waddell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Waddell family history?The surname Waddell comes from the place named Wedale, in the parish of Stow, near Edinburgh. As such it is a habitation name, a category of surnames derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Waddel, Waddell, Waddle, Weddel, Weddell, Weddle and many more.
First found in Midlothian, where they had held territories at Wedale in the parish of Stow from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Waddell research. Another 378 words(27 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1327, 1372, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Waddell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Waddell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Waddell family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 85 words(6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Waddell Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- William Waddell, who landed in New England in 1643
Waddell Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Mathew Waddell, aged 43, arrived in Maryland in 1812
- Francis Waddell, aged 45, landed in Maryland in 1813
- John Waddell, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- William Waddell settled in San Francisco in 1852
- Margaret Waddell, aged 23, arrived in New York in 1868
- Alfred Moore Waddell (1834-1912), American politician
- Leila Waddell (1880-1932), American writer, magician, and musician
- John Alexander Low "J.A.L." Waddell (1854-1938), American civil engineer and bridge designer, best known for the ASB Bridge in Kansas City Missouri
- James Iredell Waddell (1824-1886), American officer in the United States Navy and later in the Confederate States Navy, eponym of the USS Waddell (DDG-24)
- Thomas David "Tom" Waddell (b. 1958), American former Major League Baseball pitcher
- William Bradford Waddell (1807-1872), American frontiersman, co-founder of the Pony Express
- Richard Alexander "Ricky" Waddell (b. 1981), Scottish footballer
- Gordon James Barr Waddell (b. 1937), Scottish rugby union player
- Angus Waddell (b. 1964), Australian swimmer
- Rob Waddell (b. 1975), New Zealand rower, yachtsman, and rugby player
- Scots Kith and Kin And Illustrated Map Revised 2nd Edition. Edinburgh: Clan House/Albyn. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The Waddell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Waddell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 February 2014 at 22:03.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!