100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Waddell family come from? What is the Scottish Waddell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Waddell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Waddell family history?The surname Waddell comes from the place named Wedale, in the parish of Stow, near Edinburgh. As such it is a habitation name, a category of surnames derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Waddel, Waddell, Waddle, Weddel, Weddell, Weddle and many more.
First found in Midlothian, where they had held territories at Wedale in the parish of Stow from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Waddell research. Another 378 words(27 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1327, 1372, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Waddell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Waddell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Waddell family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 85 words(6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Waddell Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- William Waddell, who landed in New England in 1643
Waddell Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Mathew Waddell, aged 43, arrived in Maryland in 1812
- Francis Waddell, aged 45, landed in Maryland in 1813
- John Waddell, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- William Waddell settled in San Francisco in 1852
- Margaret Waddell, aged 23, arrived in New York in 1868
- Alfred Moore Waddell (1834-1912), American politician, U. S. Congressman from North Carolina between 1871 and 1879
- Leila Waddell (1880-1932), American writer, magician, and musician
- James Iredell Waddell (1824-1886), American officer in the United States Navy and later in the Confederate States Navy, eponym of the USS Waddell (DDG-24)
- Thomas David "Tom" Waddell (b. 1958), American former Major League Baseball pitcher
- William Bradford Waddell (1807-1872), American frontiersman, co-founder of the Pony Express
- Avery Waddell, American actor, known for his roles in Road Trip (2000), True Crime: New York City (2005) and The New Guy (2002)
- Chris Waddell (b. 1968), American five-time gold, six-time silver medalist Paralympic sit-skier and wheelchair track athlete
- Donald Waddell (b. 1958), American NHL hockey player, former, and last President of the Atlanta Thrashers
- John Alexander Low Waddell (1854-1938), American civil engineer and prolific bridge designer with more than a thousand structures to his credit throughout North America
- John Henry Waddell (b. 1921), American sculptor, painter and educator
- Skene, William Forbes Edition. Chronicles of the Picts, Chronicles of the Scots and Other Early Memorials of Scottish History. Edinburgh: H.M. General Register House, 1867. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Prebble, John. The Highland Clearances. London: Secker & Warburg, 1963. Print.
The Waddell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Waddell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 October 2014 at 10:07.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!