100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Waddell family come from? What is the Scottish Waddell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Waddell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Waddell family history?The surname Waddell comes from the place named Wedale, in the parish of Stow, near Edinburgh. As such it is a habitation name, a category of surnames derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Waddel, Waddell, Waddle, Weddel, Weddell, Weddle and many more.
First found in Midlothian, where they had held territories at Wedale in the parish of Stow from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Waddell research. Another 378 words(27 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1327, 1372, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Waddell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Waddell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Waddell family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 85 words(6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Waddell Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- William Waddell, who landed in New England in 1643
Waddell Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Mathew Waddell, aged 43, arrived in Maryland in 1812
- Francis Waddell, aged 45, landed in Maryland in 1813
- John Waddell, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- William Waddell settled in San Francisco in 1852
- Margaret Waddell, aged 23, arrived in New York in 1868
- Alfred Moore Waddell (1834-1912), American politician
- Leila Waddell (1880-1932), American writer, magician, and musician
- John Alexander Low "J.A.L." Waddell (1854-1938), American civil engineer and bridge designer, best known for the ASB Bridge in Kansas City Missouri
- James Iredell Waddell (1824-1886), American officer in the United States Navy and later in the Confederate States Navy, eponym of the USS Waddell (DDG-24)
- Thomas David "Tom" Waddell (b. 1958), American former Major League Baseball pitcher
- William Bradford Waddell (1807-1872), American frontiersman, co-founder of the Pony Express
- Richard Alexander "Ricky" Waddell (b. 1981), Scottish footballer
- Gordon James Barr Waddell (b. 1937), Scottish rugby union player
- Angus Waddell (b. 1964), Australian swimmer
- Rob Waddell (b. 1975), New Zealand rower, yachtsman, and rugby player
- Catholic Directory For Scotland. Glasgow: Burns Publications. Print.
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. The Charters of David I The Written Acts of David I King of Scots, 1124-53 and of His Son Henry, Earl of Northumerland, 1139-52. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
The Waddell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Waddell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 April 2014 at 01:53.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!