BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Waddell family come from? What is the Scottish Waddell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Waddell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Waddell family history?The surname Waddell comes from the place named Wedale, in the parish of Stow, near Edinburgh. As such it is a habitation name, a category of surnames derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Waddel, Waddell, Waddle, Weddel, Weddell, Weddle and many more.
First found in Midlothian, where they had held territories at Wedale in the parish of Stow from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Waddell research. Another 378 words(27 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1327, 1372, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Waddell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Waddell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Waddell family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 85 words(6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Waddell Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- William Waddell, who landed in New England in 1643
Waddell Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Mathew Waddell, aged 43, arrived in Maryland in 1812
- Francis Waddell, aged 45, landed in Maryland in 1813
- John Waddell, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- William Waddell settled in San Francisco in 1852
- Margaret Waddell, aged 23, arrived in New York in 1868
- Alfred Moore Waddell (1834-1912), American politician, U. S. Congressman from North Carolina between 1871 and 1879
- Leila Waddell (1880-1932), American writer, magician, and musician
- James Iredell Waddell (1824-1886), American officer in the United States Navy and later in the Confederate States Navy, eponym of the USS Waddell (DDG-24)
- Thomas David "Tom" Waddell (b. 1958), American former Major League Baseball pitcher
- William Bradford Waddell (1807-1872), American frontiersman, co-founder of the Pony Express
- Avery Waddell, American actor, known for his roles in Road Trip (2000), True Crime: New York City (2005) and The New Guy (2002)
- Chris Waddell (b. 1968), American five-time gold, six-time silver medalist Paralympic sit-skier and wheelchair track athlete
- Donald Waddell (b. 1958), American NHL hockey player, former, and last President of the Atlanta Thrashers
- John Alexander Low Waddell (1854-1938), American civil engineer and prolific bridge designer with more than a thousand structures to his credit throughout North America
- John Henry Waddell (b. 1921), American sculptor, painter and educator
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
The Waddell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Waddell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 June 2014 at 20:53.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is