BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Italian, Spanish
Where did the Spanish Vigil family come from? What is the Spanish Vigil family crest and coat of arms? When did the Vigil family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Vigil family history?The Vigil surname comes from the word "vigil, " which is from the Latin "vigilia," meaning "wakefulness." As a surname, Vigil may have originally been a nickname for someone wakeful or watchful, or it may have come from the town of Vigil, in Asturias, Spain.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Vigil, Vgildo, Vigildos and others.
First found in Asturias, on the Bay of Biscay, northwestern Spain. Asturias became part of the kingdom of León on the accession of King Alfonso III in 866, and was made a principality in 1388.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vigil research. Another 201 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1669, 1686, 1664, 1834, 1641, 1655, 1586, 1694, 1736, 1738, 1741, 1758 and 1703 are included under the topic Early Vigil History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 61 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vigil Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vigil Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Jose Vigil, who arrived in Havana, Cuba, from Santander, Spain, aboard the "Mozart," in 1852
- Juan Vigil, who arrived in Havana, Cuba from Gijon, Spain in 1858
- Gerardo Vigil, aged 16, who landed in America, in 1893
- Ferdinand Vigil, age 19, who arrived at Ellis Island New York from Havana in 1893, aboard the "Cuidad Condal"
- Gerardo Vigil, age 16, who arrived at Ellis Island New York in 1893 from Yucatan, Mexico
Vigil Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Julio Vigil, aged 23, who emigrated to America, in 1922
- Robert Vigil (b. 1953), American, infamous treasurer of the State of New Mexico
- J Diego Vigil, American professor in the Department of Criminology, Law and Society, at the University of California, Irvine
- Edward Vigil, legislator in the U.S. state of Colorado
- Carol Jean Vigil (1946-2009), American judge based in the state of New Mexico
- José Luis Martín Vigil (b. 1919), Spanish priest, religious scholar and novelist
- Sergio Vigil (b. 1965), former field hockey player from Argentina
- Juan Diego González Vigil (b. 1985), Peruvian footballer
- Olga Lidia Vigil (b. 1970), retired female basketball player from Cuba
- Fernando Velázquez Vigil (b. 1950), Cuban artist specialising in ceramics and painting
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came in Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
The Vigil Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Vigil Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 May 2014 at 12:14.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is