100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, German, Irish
Where did the Irish Tucker family come from? What is the Irish Tucker family crest and coat of arms? When did the Tucker family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Tucker family history?The Tucker surname is derived from the Gaelic O Tuathair or O Tuachair meaning "people dear." According to Woulfe, this was the name of two distinct septs, one of the Ely-O'Carroll territory of north Tipperary and South Offaly, and the other of north Connacht. Both of these septs have had their names Anglicized to several similar variations of Tucker over the years.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Toher, Togher, Tougher, Taugher, Toukere, Togher, Taugher, Tucker, Tooker, ó Tuachair and many more.
First found in Tipperary, Offaly and Ulster. One of the ancient septs of this name was mentioned in the Annals in Ulster as early as 1126; thus pre-dating the Anglo-Normans.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tucker research. Another 190 words(14 lines of text) covering the year 1659 is included under the topic Early Tucker History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Tucker Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tucker Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- John Tucker explored the rivers of Maine in 1602
- Daniel Tucker settled in Virginia in 1607
- Daniel Tucker, who landed in Virginia in 1608
- William Tucker settled in Virginia in 1610
- William Tucker settled in Maine in 1621
Tucker Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Elizabeth Tucker, who arrived in Carolina in 1724
- Charlotte Tucker, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1773
Tucker Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Francis Tucker, aged 37, landed in Alexandria, Va in 1801
- Sally E Tucker, aged 10, landed in Alexandria, Va in 1801
- Maria D Tucker, aged 12, arrived in Alexandria, Va in 1801
- James Henry Tucker, aged 21, arrived in Alexandria, Va in 1801
- Richard Tucker, who arrived in America in 1807
- Tommy Tucker (1933-1982), American blues singer-songwriter and pianist
- Tanya Denise Tucker (b. 1958), award-winning American country singer
- Henry Tucker (1826-1882), American songwriter
- Albert William Tucker (1905-1995), American educator and mathematician
- Forrest Tucker (1919-1986), American actor in both movies and television
- Eddie Jack Tucker (b. 1966), American former Major League Baseball player
- Richard Tucker (1913-1975), American tenor who performed with the New York Metropolitan Opera from 1945 to 1975
- Scott Tucker (b. 1976), American Olympic swimmer
- Walter Rayford Tucker III (b. 1957), American politician
- Cynthia Tucker (b. 1955), American reporter who won the 2007 Pulitzer Prize for Commentary and also a Pulitzer-nominated finalist in 2004 and 2006
- Descendants of Arthur Massey, Cheraws District, South Carolina, 1769, with Allied Lines of Thurman and Tucker by Carmae Massey Smith.
- The Descendants of William Tucker of Throwleigh, Devon by Robert Dennard Tucker.
- Genealogy & Ancestry of Descendants of Tom & Martha Clark: also the Families of Young, Tucker & Stalnaker by W.S. Ross.
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. Mores Irish Familes. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
The Tucker Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tucker Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 February 2014 at 14:22.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!